Cheaters cheat: VW swears the €17B it stashed in a web of Luxembourg companies has nothing to do with tax-avoidance

Fair point, though I wager that gets the foreign ministers and all the politics involved - and it’s kinda like holding GE accountable in the US at that point… namely, good luck with that!

1 Like

Are anglo-saxons really so oversensitive about their obvious inferiority?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Not if it comes in as a loan.

2 Likes

But only if there’s legal grounds to do so. The point of all the shenanigans is to get away with tax avoidance legally.

1 Like

FTFY :slight_smile:

1 Like

What’s the difference?

Where is the crime when the criminals write the law?

In VW’s case, I’m going to assume that a ‘rogue accountant’ is to blame for the entire mess; somehow snuck past all the innocent as responsible people. Really.

German is hard! :wink:

Confusing “ie” with “ei” is a very frequent and common spelling error native English speakers make and that you’ll virtually never see in texts by native Germans. I often wonder why … the pronounciation is very different: ei = eye, ie = eeh

2 Likes

Yeah, that always trips me up, too (not like I read or speak German often, but I know a little). Maybe it’s down to more ambiguous spelling conventions in English (across the board, not just with the ei/ie construction). German tends to be much more of a language that you can count on to keep to it’s rules.

1 Like

Nobody can spell my dogs name :frowning:

Ah, that’s the thing with the EU. Recognition and enforcement of each other’s judgments is (theoretically and in general in practice) automatic, no need to involve ministers, etc. It’s just a straightforward paper (or, in more enlightened parts, even electronic) application.

It’s one of the (apparently endless list of) things that gets politicians (and newspaper owners) in the UK up in arms about the EU.

Automatic recognition and enforcement of things like judgments, warrants, etc. really annoys them because of course it does mean that if say a court in Romania says that your mate the chief executive of Dodgy Corp. has to answer for his corruption carried out in relation to a contract in Romania, you can’t just quash any attempt to seize his assets in the UK or tell the police not to arrest and extradite him.

That is of course true. No political will to demand fines/compensation, no payment (at least not other than to dodgy politicians to ensure that the political will doesn’t exist).

1 Like

The discussion I was having with One_Brown_Mouse was over whether the shenanigans were intended to shift tax or to shift money out of the reach of people trying to sue/fine VW over the emissions scandal.

1 Like

That does beg the question of whether the lost tax income is more or less than the dividend income. Also whether the better dividends could be consider the state cheating the federal government.

These guys apparently thought the dividend income was worth having (back in 2015:

They also have some ‘interesting’ views about how much poisonous/corrosive gas they’re happy to breathe and how long people were/are going to be talking about the VW emissions fakery.

Of course, they’re probably not wrong long term just out on the ‘six months’ thing.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.