Check out this cool Japanese guitar from the 80s with a built-in cassette player

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/24/check-out-this-cool-japanese-guitar-from-the-80s-with-a-built-in-cassette-player.html

11 Likes

Polaroid SX-70__Neat!

3 Likes

It’s so funny because my friend sent me the same listing. We used to have a band that was just us on guitars with beats off of an iPod, and I lamented that we didn’t have this because it would have been so much cooler to play the beats on tape off one of our guitars (or both even!).

2 Likes

Uuuugh turn off the TV before shooting your YouTube video

1 Like

That’s what I thought it would look like. How’s it sound?

The tape deck could be used to record loops of your own playing,

Obviously a standard blank tape wouldn’t loop – seems you’d probably have to make your own looped tape, unless you could find one available for purchase somewhere.

These days live looping is still pretty popular, but a lot of folks prefer any of the various digital looping solutions readily available.

The tape deck could be used to record loops of your own playing, or with pre-recorded accompaniment — and you could control the speed/pitch of the playback, too.

During a [Mission of Burma] performance, [sound engineer Martin Swope] would record material while the band was playing a song – usually these bits would be pre-worked out (a vocal bit, drum hits, guitar noise, etc.) Then, while we went on playing, he would feed this back into the mix at the appropriate time: sometimes he had twisted the tape half-over to make it play backwards; or drop or raise the speed the tape was playing at, whatever was appropriate. (source: MoB website)

Here’s a studio example of a MoB song with tape manipulations (this time courtesy of John Weston) of the lead guitar (and some of the vocals).

4 Likes

I love guitars that are about everything except learning to play the damn guitar.

Also it’s why I love modular synthesizers.

1 Like

1 Like

I didn’t know how bitchin tape could be till a friend lent me a tascam porta studio. Shocking what you can do with tape!

1 Like

It seems there was a series of pre-recorded tapes you could buy to play to

1 Like

And these seem to sell for a LOT less in Japan than in that Reverb listing

You can’t know how much I wanted one of those back then. Alas, budget.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.