Check out this wacky, racist movie trailer from yesteryear

Originally published at: Check out this wacky, racist movie trailer from yesteryear | Boing Boing

Trivia section from IMDB:

Owner of American Film Distribution Corp., a distributor of American sexploitation films and some European imports.

Joseph P. Mawra, who directed several films for Borden’s AFDC company, once said of him, “Stanley was an honorable human being. He was one of the best human beings I happened to meet in that business. He was honest. You knew where you stood with him.”.

Arrested Development Eye Roll GIF

9 Likes

Whoof, thats cringe.
They almost present it like a horror movie.

1 Like

The trailer is obviously the worst.

The original story doesn’t seem terrible, just kind of boring, based on this Vice.com review:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/jmdw5b/my-baby-is-black

4 Likes

Is this the story of Dinah Shore?

Frank Lagella has already quashed the rumors about this bullshit, racist theory.

7 Likes

That’s a bold step for 1961 (and still would be for decades): Hollywood storylines are supposed to have (or imply) White men sleeping with non-White women. Not the other way around.

I’m not quite sure that you define the word ‘gag’ the same way I do, as in “to wretch or convulse, as if one is going to vomit.”

Hard pass from this Black woman, who also happens to be a cinephile.

12 Likes

For anyone who hasn’t read any of the links, it wasn’t a Hollywood film, it was made in France and had a schlocky new title pasted on it when it got sent across the pond.

4 Likes

Did it ever occur to you that maybe the poster is Black?

13 Likes

I should imagine it didn’t, hopefully Yasif will consider amending their comment.

Also, here is a picture of me failing to introduce any of our contributors for the last five years.

19 Likes

Maybe? The post says,

As a Black cinephile

10 Likes

That could be interpreted as an aficionado of black cinema, perhaps.

8 Likes

Perhaps, though it’s not a likely interpretation if one has been reading other posts by this intriguing new BB contributor.

I for one have been enjoying Devin Nealy’s posts so far! :+1:

15 Likes

Just FYI folks, Devin Nealy is in fact Black, according to his LinkdIn avatar.

:+1:

14 Likes

We blame you, Rob.

*lolz

Seriously though, genuine welcome to Mr. Nealy, regardless to my personal disagreement with this particular post; it’s well past time there was more diversity amongst the authors.

16 Likes

If you read the Wikipedia article about the original 1961 French film it’s actually an anti-racist (for its time) film that someone decided could be sold in the US by giving it a clickbait title like that. And, 60 years later, the film title is still effective clickbait! Proving that some forms of clickbait are eternal.

2 Likes

Thank you for joining the forum just to regale us with that tidbit.

Welcome to BB, new comrade.

7 Likes

You should write a paper on the topic, I think that sounds really interesting and would like to know more.