Check out this weird kid's book about a time traveling rabbit who invents the blockchain

Ah yes, because nothing screams Western European Intellectualism and Enlightenment more than colonialism-inspired romanticization and appropriation of “Oriental” culture.
/s

7 Likes

It’s pretty obvious this isn’t aimed at children; it’s a clumsy attempt to ventriloquise children as avatars of uncorrupted “common sense” for an adult audience.

It would be upsetting if anyone actually tried to poo on kids’ brains with this drooling nonsense, but luckily that won’t be happening, because no child will have any patience for it. And will probably stop speaking to the weirdo uncle in question if he refuses to knock it off.

11 Likes

For a looooooooot of people “a means of supporting something that personally profits them” is precisely what “freedom” means. In that sense it’s a political term, I’d say. I’d also say “bowlshirt.”

1 Like

Maybe, but that doesn’t mean that they’re correct. Especially since profit seeking is not siloed off from others.

1 Like

Sometimes I fear I’ve done too much acid, but then things like this come along and convince me I haven’t done enough.

1 Like

Surely it is serious? It’s too dumb and straightforward to be satire. None of it makes any sense (especially in a Mediæval context), but there’s nothing that acknowledges that at all, even in an oblique, winking way…

4 Likes
2 Likes

I think this YouTube video should end the question of satire or serious. The author is a Randian whack-a-doodle.

Her channal has 9 subscribers, and the linked video has 27 views (so I am approximately 3.6% of her viewership)

5 Likes

We’d have needed a fuckton of monks and scribes to carry out the calculations.

Oddly enough, I have had thoughts about a fantasy world where the local magic is derived/powered from the kingdom’s signing authority. (In truth, the kingdoms are mainly using old provincial keys signed by the defunct empire. [And don’t ask where the empire’s keys came from.])

Opening scene: road wardens on a high speed road stop a trader with a dodgy certificate.

But that’s hierarchical crypto signing authority, not blockchain, which doesn’t work in fantasy.

2 Likes

A weird trip down the rabbit sphincter. Someone help the author open a window and let the smoke out.

1 Like

Looks over at the nearest rabbit:

Slacker.

8 Likes

But the headline said it all - “… this weird kid’s book…”. So is the book for weird kids or is the book for kids weird itself?

Yes

5 Likes

Could just be bad satire, of course.

Chelsea Peretti Eye Roll GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

3 Likes

Is there a point where satire becomes so bad it actually stops being satire entirely? (Though the author being a Randian points to “not even intended to be satire.”)

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.