Check out this weird kid's book about a time traveling rabbit who invents the blockchain

Originally published at: Check out this weird kid's book about a time traveling rabbit who invents the blockchain | Boing Boing

2 Likes

parks and recreation wtf GIF by HULU

12 Likes

Not sure what’s more ridiculous, the idea that no one before in history has been able to communicate the tenets of freedom or that this illustrated blockchain bunny book would be a simpler way to communicate

19 Likes

Yuck.

3 Likes

Right? As if there isn’t a fucking VAST body of work on the issue… really only white tech dude bros were the only ones to engage on the topic… /s

Fozzie Bear Reaction GIF

Blockchain isn’t about “freedom”, it’s a kind of technology… gah!!! FFS.

13 Likes

As far as I can tell, these days “blockchain” is mostly about separating the gullible from their money.

22 Likes

Plot twist! That’s what it always was about!

15 Likes

And it is a technology that involves completely permanent (until the computers all die), 100% traceable* record keeping - how is THAT freedom?

• People often claim that cryptocurrencies and other blockchainy things are anonymous. This is of course complete bullshit. The anonymity comes from keeping your wallet ID and irl identity separate - once the feds or whoever have your wallet ID(s) they can trace everything you’ve ever done. Using pattern analysis on the blockchain transaction data can actually identify who users are based on their actions and associate them to a wallet.
17 Likes

There was a time when I was interested in cryptography, but it is getting near impossible to avoid the Dunning-Krugerrand advocates.

It’s just like my interest in astronomy is being ruined by rich arseholes flying to space in their penis extensions. Telling Youtube suggestions “NO!” repeatedly is annoying, so I just give up.

17 Likes

Honestly, right now, people use the term “freedom” as a political cudgel or as a means of supporting something that personally profits them. It’s lost all meaning as a political term, honestly.

Nick Offerman Giggles GIF

Funny cause it’s accurate…

13 Likes

ezgif.com-add-text (9)

1 Like
12 Likes

That’s a “rabbit hole” I want to go down.

1 Like

Well, if it’s a satire… I’m here for it. If it’s serious, then… ugh…

9 Likes

And of course, part of the reason we have complex intellectual discourse on the topic is because people tried to explain it in simple terms then saw it quickly spool out into a far more complex and nuanced topic than they realized requiring deeper more intellectual discourse to really understand it.

Holy crap, imagine the insane levels of bureaucracy we’d have to navigate if these twerps instituted blockchain in the government as far back as medieval times. We think the government is a slow byzantine pain in the ass that holds too much information about private citizens now, that’s nothing compared to how monumentally Kafka-esque and slooowwww things would be with centuries old blockchain.

We think it feels like a trip to the DMV takes ages, with that system it would take literal years.

3 Likes

Meeting in the middle, they agreed neo-feudalism would be a jolly way forward for society.
But, they may be branded as tyrannical so it was thought best to conceal this with a veneer of democracy.

“Neo-feudalism”. “Branded as tyrannical”. “Veneer of democracy”.

Either it’s so deeply in satire it’s come out the other side and is swimming around in Poe’s Ocean, or whichever pseudointellectual wrote this has really got to re-evaluate the reading level of his target audience.

9 Likes

like, powered by windmills and computed on gears with wooden pegs :confused:

6 Likes

Optimist.

Remember, up until the 1960s, “computer” was a job title, not an appliance.
It would be less like a mill (and certainly not like The Difference Engine), and more like a scriptorium, only full of people with abaci.

6 Likes

The masses of artists and scientists throughout history that had profound impact and pushed the boundaries of their fields while having lived and died in poverty as well as the myriad works of art and scientific breakthroughs that were achieved via public funding would seem to contradict this idea. But that’s using empirical evidence, so what do I know.

7 Likes