Christopher Nolan' Oppenheimer "recreated the first atomic detonation" set without CGI

Originally published at: Christopher Nolan' Oppenheimer "recreated the first atomic detonation" set without CGI | Boing Boing

2 Likes

David Lynch did it years ago.

1 Like

Much respect to practical effects and Nolan using his budget and notoriety to avoid CGI when possible. There are a small handful of examples where CGI has improved actual storytelling (pixar excluded) stacked against the mountains of phoned-in crap it has facilitated, and thise examples always used it in combinatiom with as much practical as was…well, practical.

I wonder if in 10-15 years there will be an auteur using CGI and the thinkpieces will have to be like “and this guy uses CGI designed by humans, bucking the trend of cheap CGI vusuals generated by an AI”

2 Likes

I think “The Fountain” used a good mix of practical effects mixed with CGI composition and I think it worked really well.

I mean Independance Day did the whole wall of fire shockwave as a practical effect and it looked amazing in THX

2 Likes

I really wanted to like The Fountain, i could see the bones of a really good movie in there but from what i recall the production had run into issues so i presume compromises were made to get it made. But visually it was great at least. (edit: Yeah it sounds like it was a shit show)

Also i haven’t read how they replicated the atomic blast without CGI, i can imagine one method might be to use a large water tank. Another might be to use a relatively dense gas and film a poof of gas in slomo

1 Like

The scene in Armeggedon where Paris is destroyed was done practically by detonating a huge charge and several kilometres of detonator cable arranged in a spiral - it still looks astounding today.

Given this is a Nolan film, the explosion will be utterly deafening and the dialogue filtered through several old socks to ensure maximum unintelligibility.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.