Christopher Walken painted over an original Banksy

jodie whittaker thirteenth doctor GIF by Doctor Who

Ouch GIF by Run The World

11 Likes

Somebody painted over my computer monitor.

11 Likes

The act of destroying art is itself conceptual art.

What a concept!

3 Likes

Also he’s British and has a sense of humour. As do the writers and creative team so it makes sense to me too.

1 Like

He didn’t so much “destroy a Banksy” as much as “overwrite it with a Walken”. Which should make it more valuable now.

10 Likes

This is probably a tangent, but one of my favorite memories of London was yelling down Leak Street at some guy doing some elaborate work “HEY! 5-0! UHHH… COPPER. BOBBY. PO-LICE”, and having said cop just walk up, be like “It’s allowed here. We just walk through because the… tourists… can sometimes get anti-social.” in that deadpan “I am insulting you but you’ll never prove it” voice the English love to use.

Anyways, I don’t think the person painting was Banksy, but remain a fan.

“Banksy destroys his own work”
“Banksy’s work destroys itself”
“Some wanker destroys Banksy’s work”
“A famous person destroys Banksy’s work”

this series is teetering on boredom for me, but it’s clearly still good enough to attract a sizable audience. i would sit up in attention for “Banky’s work destroys Banksy”, or “Banky’s work destroys some other more valuable work of art,” though.

3 Likes

“Banksy’s work destroys Tokyo”
“Banksy’s work fights Godzilla”

8 Likes

Having sold a Banksy print of my own a couple years ago in order to help us buy a house, I made the mistake the other day of looking up how much it would be worth now. It had gone up in value by a factor of about 163 in the last couple of decades, but in just the last two years had quadrupled in value once more!

Given the housing crisis here in the UK, and COVID and whatnot, I think the (financial) value of our home has probably increased by a similar amount, but good grief, the whole thing’s getting a bit ridiculous, isn’t it?

6 Likes

The next step is they sell the painted wall for $10M, but then moments after it sells a secret water hose pops up and un-destroys the painting.

2 Likes

Somehow the fact that it was Walken makes it a bit more surreal.

2 Likes

And ‘completion’ is illusory.

2 Likes

I never understood the whole Bansky thing.

In this case, so what, the artist is still alive, he can paint more stuff, it’s not like an irreplaceable thing was destroyed. Clearly he was hired as a set painter in this case. But I wonder how much he was paid and how does an anonymous person get a paycheck and pay taxes?

Like I said, I don’t get it.

1 Like

3 Likes

“Less deba’in’, more pain’in’.” Gotta love those dropped t and g sounds.

1 Like

4 Likes

The ‘S’ is fooling no one.

Everyone on the thread talking about Banksy and no one apparently surprised that Christopher frickin’ Walken is in a BBC comedy drama.

2 Likes

He’s been in plenty of comedies though… Wayne’s World 2, Joe Dirt, his role in Pulp Fiction, Kangaroo Jack, The Stepford Wives… SNL…

Also… rock videos…

10 Likes

If we’re talking oddball roles for Walken, this is one of my favorite movies and Walken in love with Travolta is fun stuff.

1 Like