CityQ, a four-wheeled midpoint between bike and car

4 Likes
1 Like

It’s ok, I guess, but it’s no Segway.

2 Likes

I get it, but my $300 used bicycle goes about 15 MPH if I’m loafing, ca. 18-21 (in the flats) if I have a real bug up my butt xD. The worst mistake I ever made, was to stop using plain ol’ bicycles as my primary transportation at the age of 35. I went from about 190 lbs to a max of 268!

Since then, at the age of 50 and back to bicycling, as well as much less food overall and very physical jobs, I’m back down to 193-205 (depending on if it’s just after the weekend or not, when I tend to smoke dope, play video games, and snarf fatburgers and beer ^^’).

No hate on e-bikes at all for others but they hold zero appeal for me; I already made that mistake, thenkyew! I’ll keep my cheapo bike and scary, gigantic, windowless white van half my friends wold be boned if they couldn’t use it to move, every year or two :wink: .

4 Likes

I’ve OWNED a spork with a serrated edge! I’d never use one, though; I cannot imagine trying to eat cereal in the early AM while camping, for example, with a freaking knife in your mouth -.- ’ . I bought it on a lark in Gainseville, FL decades ago, along with a folding knife/brass knucks that got me arrested a week later…

…I hate Florida. I should’a guessed it was illegal, of course, but I was 17 and had no clue.

4 Likes

My friend put together a book on the history of Kinetic Sculpture races:

3 Likes

I kind of wish I had a plywood velocar-like with a one of those bolt-on 2stroke bike motor kits in the boot.image

edit: ebikes or just bikes are great, I just have 20 miles of this to work withimage

4 Likes

An ebike would make that pretty easy, I think! Though it would still take over an hour, probably.

1 Like

Meanwhile in 1881

2 Likes

The Twizy has been on European roads since 2012, and is still available as a new purchase.

4 Likes

70 kg!!!
Ain’t nobody got time for that shit.

1 Like

The point of the CityQ is that it is classified as a bicycle and is allowed to use bike lanes (in European countries). The Twizy is a car.

2 Likes

Gainsville, ha! I’ve been ticketed and questioned by the 5.0s in that city, primarily due to the fact that I wasn’t interested in a beach orgy for spring break, so myself and my buddies at UF found other mischief to get into when school was out. I lived in Boston at the time, so I’d have to fly back to my 'rents home in Tampa and hit the long drive up north. Fun times. I’m surprised I wasn’t arrested for multiple things since I did plenty of Florida Man activities.

1 Like

Rob Cotter put years of work and his heart into Organic Transit and the ELF. He is a pioneer.

2 Likes

I sure hope the company finds a good steward.

1 Like

The proa of the wheeled world!

2 Likes

Aha, this is interesting to hear! While doing research into ebikes a year ago-ish, I ran across a study that found that people who used ebikes got nearly as much exercise as people who used regular bikes – in part (if I’m recalling this correctly) because the ebike-using folk cycled more frequently and for longer distances. So what they lost in energy output (from the e-assist) they made up for in volume.

Or to put it another way, they avoided regular cycling because it felt like too much work. The ebike made it feel like less work and thus encouraged them to cycle at all – at which point they began so comfortable with cycling qua cycling that they began cyclists.

2 Likes

Back in the 80s, I went to Morocco to visit friends, and spent a couple days down in Marrakesh. I’m used to everything on the road looking like a car, truck, bike, or occasional horse&buggy or skateboard. But down there? There were lots of things with wheels on them zooming down the streets, in all kinds of shapes and sizes. One-person-wide 4’ tall pickup trucks. Motorcycles with sidecars (ok, sometimes I see them here too.) Just lots of weird stuff.

Three wheels seems to be a magic sweet spot for small motorized vehicles in the US - it has more than two, so you don’t need a motorcycle license, but fewer than four, so it doesn’t need to meet all the rules a car does to be road-legal.

I’ve almost never biked to work here in CA; for a while my company had an office building 4 miles away on flat roads, but I could never have it be MY office :slight_smile: I’ve occasionally taken my bike on the train when I was commuting by train, but otherwise my offices have tended to be either way too far away to bike or 10 miles that I could theoretically bike but there are freeways or 50mph feeder roads that I can’t bike on.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.