Civil rights group sues Harvard to end legacy admissions system favoring elites

While slightly off topic, I do want to brag that Citizen Potawatomi member Kelli Mosteller is the executive director of the Harvard University Native American Program. She is an incredible wealth of Pottawatomie knowledge, and though I wish her well in her new role, her presence as the director of the Citizen Potawatomi Nation Cultural Heritage Center will be missed.

I imagine she would be all for nixing legacy admissions over more scholarships for indigenous students.

4 Likes

The next step may be to ban inheritance, PERIOD.
The house you grew up in must go to the IRS.
Nothing goes to a ‘Trust’.
Non-white people in Congress will object to that.
They want to pass on their $Millions to their kids.

First off…
episode 8 bullshit GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race

Inheritance taxes tend to focus on vast wealthy, not the comparatively minuscule amount of wealth some might inherit from their parents or grandparents of generally modest means…

But if affirmative action for POC is illegal, so should legacy admissions, which is a form of “affirmative action” - why should those with inherited wealthy get automatic preference over the rest of us?

13 Likes

IMG_9409

10 Likes

And this is related to the topic at hand how? And you think non-white people would object? Wow, i am just shaking my head right now.

11 Likes

What an oddly exclusionary way to phrase that. You don’t think white Congress-critters would object at least to the same degree?

10 Likes

Well, but you see, how else will we know what the standard, “normal” skin color of a congress person is… /s

13 Likes

This is impressively unhinged sounding. You must get up very early in the morning to make this many straw men.

7 Likes

Almost as if they’ve felt shafted by history?
:wink:

7 Likes

The estate tax exemption is currently $12,920,000 for an individual, or $25,840,000 for a married couple.

How many non-white people in the country do you think have that kind of net worth?

11 Likes

But, clearly, the estate tax is the biggest hurdle to BIPOC building up generational wealth in this country. :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

Not many… I know there are certainly some (many) people of wealth in congress (especially in the Senate) who meet that threshold, but most people with extreme amounts of wealth prefer to avoid such public service, and would rather just buy off people to get policies they prefer. I’m guessing those on the lower end of the scale tend to be POC…

9 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.