CNBC discussion on gay CEOs gets awkward when panelist says of Apple CEO Tim Cook, "he’s gay"

No, you’re right, reading it now I agree, it’s just that I read it thinking that Cook was openly gay as I felt like I had heard it repeatedly and everywhere, and I thought writing that was pretty awesome of him, etc. Guess that’s not the case. Definitely the worst kept secret in tech, I suppose.

He’s gay? Had no idea. Who the fuck cares anyway.

7 Likes

If he doesn’t want to talk about his personal life, I totally get that. I don’t either.

As for being gay, a person’s sexuality makes exactly zero difference to me. This applies to all humans on the planet, except for the person I am having sex with, that’s the only time it matters to me.

Supporting equal rights for homosexuals (or any other set of people) is just basic empathy for our fellow humans, I don’t get why it’s so difficult.

5 Likes

…Looking forward to the day when this type of discussion is simply as irrelevant as someone’s sexuality. We ain’t there, of course.

His significant other, for one. And if he doesn’t have one, everyone who is trying to hook him up with a cousin to get some swag.

Yeah, pretty limited pool.

1 Like

The main issue here is:

Why do people have to come out as gay? Who cares? I am going to start writing about CEO’s who have not come out as straight publicly.

1 Like

I think part of it is just that celebrity gossip is a huge industry. If an actor is spotted on a date with another man, it’s gonna be all over the gossip rags, so there’s a lot of pressure to either deny everything or come out. On the other hand, nobody much cares who a CEO dates or where he vacations or what kind of swimsuit he wears, so it’s a lot easier for them to keep their private lives private, gay or straight.

2 Likes

Just be careful. I’d hate to see Rob “plenty to eat at home” Ford go down in history as a noble pioneer.

1 Like

Really? This is a thing for straight (or anything else) CEO’s too? I had no idea.

Why not simply ask if they are “Fully functional” and if they are “horny at the moment”. Why the labels?

We live in a heteronormative world. Kids who grow up to be gay need out gay adults not just as role models but also to give them evidence that they are not alone and that they are healthy and part of a normal human variation. And straight people should also be regularly reminded that they do not represent everybody.

Every time a CEO mentions a husband or wife, they are effectively coming out. Straight people (both in their places of work and in public) don’t realize that they are coming out as straight ALL THE TIME. So when people say “Why do we have to talk about this” and “Sexuality doesn’t matter,” they are fooling themselves. The fact that it matters is evidenced by homophobia and heterosexism being extremely present in our society (just like racism); if you don’t notice homophobia or don’t experience it or feel that you aren’t homophobic, that still does not mean it is not there.

By not coming out, people in the public eye are not combating the view that there is something wierd or shameful about it. Homosexuality was referred to as the love that dare not speak its name (kind of like Voldemort); we NEED people to speak openly about their same-sex spouses (or their desire for one) or our society will never become more equal. And although I am not a public figure, I am happy to come out; my husband and I got married when it became legal in California in 2008.

26 Likes

Agreed - one of the last things you want to hear when you’re having sex with someone is that they aren’t the same sexual orientation as you.

PS: I agree with all the other stuff, too.

2 Likes

Worst pickup lines ever.

2 Likes

From the post:

one of the co-hosts triggered a very awkward moment that will probably make it very hard for bookers on the financial news network to get anyone from Apple ever booked on any show ever.

As I see it, this is trying really hard to see this as more significant than an awkward moment. If Tim Cook’s sexuality is neither here nor there, why would Xeni Jardin claim that he and Apple would be so apoplectic about it as to black list this entire show forever?

I know pointing out discrimination is satisfying — Boing Boing is a testament to that, but this is getting ridiculous.

1 Like

I guess npr’s all things considered will have the same issue

BLOCK: Well, several of you pointed out an oversight on Browne’s part. Peter Tenney (ph) of Baltimore writes, in point of fact, Tim Cook of Apple is openly gay. It doesn’t make the acceptance of homosexuals in business any better, but at least it’s not the hopelessly barren world he painted.
Letters: The World Cup And The Stanley Cup : NPR

I think some of this comes from some of the media being very reluctant to ever say somebody is gay even when its not even a secret, using terms like “confirmed bachelor”.

This whole thing confuses me. Tim Cook is quietly, openly, gay - and it’s not new news. Here’s a Reuter’s article from 2011 talking about him being “the most powerful gay man in the world.” It doesn’t shy away from the statement at all. He wasn’t outed by CNBC unless people just weren’t paying attention for the last three years.

That’s because for the last three years, Tim Cook has topped OUT magazine’s Power 50. This squarely states that he is a gay man, one with a lot of power, and one with goodwill to the LGBT community. The link to the 2011 Out Power List may not be available, but Cook made #1 of the Power 50 again in 2012 and 2013! Seriously, who thinks he isn’t out?

http://www.out.com/out-exclusives/power-50/2013/04/10/power-list-2013-tim-cook

So, that’s why I’m confused. Tim Cook may not be heavily vocal about his own sexuality (it’s his business), but he doesn’t hide it either. He’s not in the closet, he’s just busy being a CEO.

4 Likes

To the “who the fuck cares” crowd; you may think we live in a post-homophobic world, but we don’t. It’s no more true than Colbert’s bit about “people tell me I’m white, and I believe them”. The fact is many folks who are LGBTQ* don’t see themselves in mainstream America - and certainly not as CEOs of major corporations. People like Tim Cook coming out create a different perception both for LGBTQ folks and the rest of us as well. I don’t think it’s obligatory to come out, and I respect everyone who makes it a personal matter, but I respect even more those leaders who come out and wear it proud.

* interesting to note that iOS turns LGBTQ in to “libra” but auto-caps the NRA and GOP correctly. Talk about how to marginalize through autocorrect. And BTW Tim Cook is not a libra. I checked. So, y’know, no big reveal there. Sadly. That would have been a funny Easter Egg.

7 Likes

lots of people care.

people live closeted, not generally because they want to, but because of the bigotry of others.

people come out to their friends and family - sometimes risking those relationships, and in some places risking livelihood, or limb - because they want their community to accept them for who they really are.

public figures come out to serve as role models for people who feel isolated due to their sexuallity, to serve as a bridge to straight folks who dont understand what it means to be gay, who are afraid(!) of gay people, etc.

coming out is a huge decision in people’s lives. not everyone can, though many might long to do so. sympathy and respect should be your first reaction.

6 Likes

Hey @waetherman - I’m not in “WTFC” crowd. I’m just honestly surprised that this is somehow news right now. Tim Cook has never made any effort to hide his sexuality, and has been openly supportive of the community all along. :slight_smile:

Tim Cook’s sexuality seems to bear no influence on the share price so as an AAAPL shareholder I don’t care.

1 Like