Coca-Cola, wonder solvent cleans my BMW tools

Ex-wife has it. Or may have sold it. It was originally my father-in-law’s so it was only fair. I am between garages (mine is too full of stuff now) so it’ll be some more years until I start another project. I’d love to try another E-Type but prices on most classics are rising too quickly now.

I was gonna say the same thing. It’s cheaper, too.

In my experience, it actually has to be 1/2 vinegar 1/2 water: I tried pure vinegar and it didn’t work as well. Does the water serve as a catalyst? I don’t know. (Any chemistry people out there who could chime in?) But I cleaned up some antique drawer hardware that way. Worked very well.

And yeah: I left the parts in the water/vinegar solution overnight. They were still there and whole the next morning.

I was thinking along the same lines. Coke fer cleanin’, whiskey fer drinkin’ :slight_smile:

1 Like

well, modern white vinegar is basically just a 5% acetic acid solution in water. maybe 2.5% works better for some reason; i don’t know.

reading a bit more, it seems that phosphoric acid is superior, if only because it forms a layer of protective iron phosphate if you leave the residue on the tool.

but if you are just scrubbing decent quality steel tools (as most tools are) and clean it off afterward, vinegar is probably almost as good.

1 Like

Nothing much. The cylinders will survive this with ease. The sparks can burn through the worker’s shirt if aimed directly at the fabric for a while (don’t ask how I know), but they won’t harm metal, though they may cause superficial damage on the hoses (and ugly black deposit on all the impacted surfaces). And the hoses are fairly low-pressure.

1 Like

You’re taking all the fun out of surfing for image memes.

1 Like

I couldn’t help myself, the picture reminded me of the smoking hole in my shirt after trying to cut a steel beam in what is called a “forced position”. :smiley:

Todo: thermochromic paint for the angle grinder. I cooked one. You won’t feel the gearbox overheating through the welding gloves.

1 Like

I once bought a makita grinder with an aluminum body because I thought it looked cool. I realized pretty fast why they stopped making them that way. That fucker became hot enough to burn in no time. Used it to death anyway. Mmm, the smell of burning motor is so sweet.

1 Like

Great choice of bike. I think the slash 5 and 6 Airheads are beautiful and functional. I love the Airhead motto “Simple by Choice”. Riding one says something about you “taking the road not taken”. However I would not use Coca Cola to clean my tools.

1 Like

My one’s motor survived. It was the gearbox, specifically one of the bearings, that apparently bought the farm. It spins up but not to full speed, and makes horrible noise that apparently originates in the bearing. It also spat out a crumply metal strip that may be the ball cage. Physical inspection of the gearbox achieved nothing but getting grease on me, sometime when there’s time and energy I’ll try to remove the bearing for closer inspection. And later maybe try replacing it. Not that it is worth the time with the low cost of the thing, but for training purposes…

1 Like

In the case of my little Makita the motor eventually fried itself because I wouldn’t let it take the breaks it needed. For a long time before it gave up it had that sickly sweet smell of burning motor.

Likewise! Yours looks great. I’m still putting the finishing touches on and have run into a wrinkle or two, as we approach the finish line. Hope to share more soon!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.