Coffee map of America

[Permalink]

What a terrible infographic. Half the colors are so close they can’t be distinguished even with good vision, and a colorblind person wouldn’t be able to see more than 2 of them. What’s the matter, don’t like shapes? Your assignment: read some Tufte, go back, and do it over again…

3 Likes

ASTONISHING REGIONAL COFFEE FACTS!*

A locked room in a salt mine in Utah contains the last 25 cases of Postum.

Twenty five counties in the south and midwest only consume coffee made from Robusta variety beans, on account of Arabica beans support terrorism.

In parts of the Southwest, the preferred method of making coffee involves boiling the grounds in a pot with an egg, the way “Cookie” on the chuck wagon did it.

Those little hourglass-shaped aluminum pots with the guy pointing up on them are illegal in two midwestern states.

A run of French Press coffee makers labeled “Liberty Press” are being sold to fans of the Glenn Beck show at a 322% mark up.

*Not. Look, I got bored.

2 Likes

I’m not sure this map gets across the astonishing density of coffee shops in Seattle.

3 Likes

My five-mile morning commute in the Boston area takes me within a block of five Dunkieses, five Starbuckses (not counting all the Harvard cafeterias that serve Starbucks coffee) and a Peet’s. I feel like assigning one color dot to the “winning” chain in that scenario doesn’t really express the degree of the crazy at work.

One Stumptown is worth a thousand of anything else.

I :heart: Stumptown.

Tim Hortons has installed at least 5 locations in the Ann Arbor area within the last year. They seem to be in it to win it.

1 Like

So assuming I want a coffee that doesn’t come from a chain or franchise, what are my chances?

Oh man if I count the super market starbucks franchises, within 3/4 mile walk I have 5 that I can walk to in my north seattle neighborhood.

A vendor was filling a coffee machine and I asked him which one would be the best. He replied the ‘regular’ over the flavoured coffees as the flavoured coffee is cut with ‘hickory and peanut shells’. Not really but not far off either.

2 Likes

This doesn’t include smaller chains that dominate locally. Here in Milwaukee, it’s Colectivo. On my way to work, I pass two of them.

1 Like

Depends on where you live. In my town (a Seattle suburb) we have a half dozen indie coffee stands within a mile radius of my house. It’s decent, and I prefer to frequent those places as I like to support local businesses.

We also have a bit of a bizarre phenomenon in bikini baristas. It’s not that surprising, but it’s interesting in that they started out as indie places, but got so much business that some of the bikini baristas have started chaining, and have a bunch of stands. “Hot Java” is one of them.

That’s just the beginning of Canada’s annexation of Michigan. People joke about how there are so many Starbucks locations, but there are something like 2.5x as many Tim Hortons locations per capita in Canada compared to the number of Starbucks per capita in the US.

2 Likes

You have no idea how fine I would be with Michigan being annexed into Ontario.

2 Likes

Every time I go visit family in Michigan, I notice more of them. If the Canadians just finish annexing the state already, I may have to move back so I can enjoy some fries with gravy (and not just poutine, but fries with brown gravy is genius).

1 Like

This visualization must’ve been made with data that’s at least five years old, as some Starbucks that I know of in Missouri aren’t shown at all.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.