Cold-calling phone company hit with record fine

This isn’t so much of a problem in the UK - the scammers getting people to change providers seem to have been shut down. But I agree. Nowadays I tend just to repeat “You are a criminal”, “You are lying” or “You are wrong” till they get the hint. Though I did tell one “Microsoft” scammer that if his mother in law knew what he was doing she would demand her daughter and her dowry back. From the sounds at the other end he was pretty cross.

4 Likes

Never never never ever say yes. My tack (on the rare occasions I pick up unknown calls) is always to first ask whom I’m speaking with. What this seems to achieve, in my experience, is a complete flip in the power dynamic. Not only are you interrupting the script, by becoming the interrogator you place the caller on the defensive, which is not the stance from which to make a successful pitch.

On the first order this is most effective with bill collectors- they can’t tell you squat without you first confirming your identity, including their identity and the specifics of the debt they’re calling about. The moment they realize they can’t get anything out of you, they get pissed and hang up. If they’re gonna waste my time, you’re damned sure I’m gonna waste theirs. Sooooooooo satisfying.

2 Likes

My preferred option is to engage for a short time so the caller is sure they have your attention, then quietly place the phone on the table and walk away to go do something interesting.

A couple of times I’ve heard the muffled voice from across the room rise in pitch and agitation, then the clear sound of expletives. It makes my day :smiley:

4 Likes

“CLEE-ver-AM-eye” ?

1 Like

Likely because there’s more ways to dissemble and lie in English than any other language.

If I don’t just hang up on these vermin, my usual response is "why would I do business with a company about which the only thing I know for sure is that they’ll break the law to call me?

2 Likes

nows and again I get the request to have my microsoft computer upgrader plan shoved down my throat even though I would not necessarily use win10…

like the sometimes sassy website that won’t lets yur unsubscribble from their excellent services

I agree completely with your attitude on this. I get too many calls from numbers I don’t recognize that I need to answer. I might try that other suggested trick of setting the phone down or just muting it. They have a rigid script so I doubt it’d affect them.

I just say “Hello” and won’t say my name or yes. I’ve got reasons way past marketing calls but I think it’s a good policy generally. :sweat:

1 Like

I don’t understand how it works as a proof of order, unless your country has very shitty laws.

Yep, this. I’m immediately defensive and suspicious with cold-callers, even if they’re calling from a company I use or my bank. But it’s funny how most people take “Who’s calling?” as acceptance that I am indeed the person they asked for.

Them: “Is this McGreens?”
Me: “Who’s calling?”
Them: “This is Mumble from Mumbled Company Name. I understand you were involved in an accident that wasn’t your fault?”
Me: “How did you get this number?”

etc.

I then add the number to a contact in my phone called ‘Spammers’ which is set to ignore calls.

Yep, done this a few times too. The advantage of this technique is it wastes more of their time that they could be spending harassing other people.

2 Likes

“Shitty laws” might well be a factor, but what’s definitely at play is how commerce is practiced and accepted here.

1 Like

Better yet, bring it into the lavatory with you and go about your toileting.

2 Likes

Do they make exploding coffee makers?

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.