Why you should never return a robocall - it could cost you a small fortune

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/08/why-you-should-never-return-a.html

1 Like

Umm, hold on. It spoofs the caller id number that you see to be a harmless number, but when you return the call, it dials some high-charge number?

That’s completely broken.

eta: Reading the FCC letter, spoofing caller id is just an add-on warning, not that it’s done in this case.

19 Likes

I just let everything to to voice mail. If they don’t leave a message, I don’t return the call. I have special rings for my contacts, so if I don’t hear the “proper” ring, I just let it go.

34 Likes

If it’s really important, they can send a letter.

https://www.google.com/search?q=phone+crying+stock+photo&tbm=isch

4 Likes

Ya, that was my reaction. Trick me into calling an international number, shame on me; bill me for an international call when I dialled a local number, shame (and class action litigation) on one or more phone companies.

28 Likes

You mean that Prince in Nigeria wasn’t my friend?

16 Likes

Normally, I set the ringer to buzz at night. Guess I have to start turning on airplane mode or ‘do not disturb’. :confounded:

4 Likes

Exactly. Is it customary now for people to call back numbers when the caller didn’t leave a message? Why would you ever do that?

14 Likes

Got an incoming phone call yesterday that spoofed our own phone number.

16 Likes

I have had numerous calls back from people I left messages for, only to discover after some confusion that they didn’t listen to the message. I can sort of understand this from friends, but I also get it from business people and people where I got the wrong number. Now I always ask “Did you hear my message?”

1 Like

until they spoof your contacts.

But yeah I let it go to google assistant and watch the transcript then block 99% of the time no one I want to talk to ever calls.

4 Likes

I still have my phone number from Houston. Now living in California, everyone I know in Texas is in my contact list. So I never answer a caller from Texas. Get rid of your local number, get an out of state number. With a cell phone no one has to pay long distance anyway.

6 Likes

I’m not sure how this would work except with landline phones, when the called party answers and the scammer sends a second “chirp” of Caller ID that changes the display on the phone to something that isn’t in Mauritania and then immediately hangs up. The mark then dials *69 to return the call and gets nailed.

4 Likes

I got a spoofed call yesterday, when I looked it up it’s apparently Apple Care’s actual phone number but of course it’s not them. I don’t own any Apple devices so easy scam for me to avoid

4 Likes

I don’t even check my voice mail.

4 Likes

That sounds like a new wrinkle on the old, grim urban legend, “He’s in the house!”

6 Likes

A few years ago I got a Windows support scam call when I was all apple.

They really need to do something to improve things. If all of us are ignoring the phone is it going to atrophy as a system?

4 Likes

That happened to my parents three times the other day. Weird.

2 Likes

Sometime in 1989, or perhaps 1990, I returned home from work to find nine messages on my answering machine.

This was unusual: I typically received zero or one or two messages in a day, or possibly three on a rare day — but never nine .

I replayed the messages. (This was back in the day when answering machines stored incoming messages on a cassette tape.)

The first eight calls were hang-ups.

The ninth call began with a woman’s voice saying “Will you accept a collect call from —”

— and then a brief pause —

Followed by a deep male voice booming: “— Turkey.”

No, I do not know anyone in Turkey.

http://gnomonchronicles.com/wiki/A_Foreign_Call_On_My_Answering_Machine_(nonfiction)

5 Likes

If some jerk calls me at 2am you can bet I’m not calling him back.

Not that any of my stupid jerk-ass friends ever call me anyway. Lousy jerks.

10 Likes