Why you should never return a robocall - it could cost you a small fortune

Almost makes sense to have a small cluster of attempts. I had a wrong number from Columbia that I ignored the first few times. I finally answered and it was a legitimate person from Columbia who had the wrong number.

3 Likes

Is it possible for the phone company software to check to make sure the call is really coming from the number that shows on Caller ID? Can they block it if it doesn’t?

If they can do all this, they why the hell don’t they? Am I missing something? Is it technically impossible?

2 Likes

I’d like to see how well you get on with that class action, they nearly always originate in foreign countries, and in any case wouldn’t be something that the local network would likely know about or be able to do anything about.
The perps are always several steps removed from any means of legal retribution.

I think I should check with my cellphone company to see what they’re doing to stop this. I can’t accept any inbound calls anymore. On the off chance that I get a legitimate call and the number isn’t in my contacts I don’t answer because it’s 99% scam calls. This has led to missed calls from physicians, my kids’ school, etc.

7 Likes

It is technically possible with authenticated subscriber lines.

It just would mean upgrading their network. And why bother with that when they’re already monopolized.

5 Likes

Because debt collection companies also use this, and they have big lobbyists and big phone accounts. The phone company isn’t going to stop making money on something legal, and the lobbyists are there to ensure it stays that way.

8 Likes

How is this not a tacit admission that phone service providers can determine the real extension for an outgoing call and are allowing the spoof only to be effective on the incoming call?

4 Likes

Can’t like this. So angry every time I think about it.

6 Likes

Exact same strategy. Works great. Legitimate businesses always leave a message.

1 Like

I don’t blame you. It’s sleazy as hell.

But this applies well

We get so riled up at the obvious scammers that we don’t look at the reasons why they can pull off their scams. And predatory debt collection is so built-in to American-style capitalism (especially the conservative/libertarian side) that most people don’t realise how rotten and sleazy it really is.

8 Likes

Oh no, that Prince was, is, and always will be your friend. Provided modern communications networks are in place, anyway.

1 Like

Remind me why I don’t just throw my phone away again?

3 Likes

Two-step process for restoring sanity:

1. Unplug everything.
  2. Sit back with a good book and enjoy life.
1 Like

Yeah, I don’t know why anyone would do that (especially with a residential number). 10+ years ago, this might have made sense, but now? I don’t usually even answer the phone if it’s an unknown number. At least 90% of my calls aren’t just robocalls, but actual scams as well.

What’s really weird is when I get a call from some stranger who “got a call” from my number when I most certainly didn’t call anyone. (I suspect some robocaller was spoofing my number.)

Huh. That just happened to my mother the other day. At the time, I assumed it was just one of those situations where the robocaller is spoofing a local number (and they use your prefix number to make it seem extra-local) and just coincidentally happened to spoof her number in calling people. But now I’m wondering if this is some sort of new tactic (or accident that went wide)…

4 Likes

People who are 007 fans are coming to save you. Or something like that. What I’ve gleaned from reading about this lately is the networks currently don’t recognize or verify calls originating on a different network (AT&T to T-Mobile, Verizon to Comcast etc). The new Stir/Shaken protocol is supposed to resolve it. Fingers crossed

2 Likes

Why, in this day and age, would ANYBODY call back an unknown number? This has to be a incredibly broad net to catch even a few sucker fish.

1 Like

You need an easy explanation for why you feel a vibration on your hip?

I HATE it when people leave me voicemails. Really.

2 Likes

That takes too long! I will accept a telegram if they need to reach me quickly.

2 Likes

It’s almost like there should be checks in place to protect unknowing consumers to be harassed like this (in the middle of the night, too) using some - dunno - large government agency that specifically is in charge of telephones.
Oh if only there were such a thing.

9 Likes