Colombian biologist won't go to jail for 8 years for sharing a scientific paper (probably)

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/05/25/diego-gomez.html

3 Likes

Knowing nothing about this–is this a Net Neutrality related issue? Is it because of some weird digital rights thing in Columbia?

Could it (or a version of it) theoretically happen here?

1 Like

Those darn scientists need to stop sharing information. They might exchange ideas and help their research, which might lead to scientific advances and helping people. That would be bad. :rolling_eyes:

While it certainly shouldn’t be copyright infringement, or worthy of jail time, publishing someone else’s research is kind of a shitty thing to do. I believe in open science, and I think everyone should share as much of their research as possible, but I’m not sure I like extending that to sharing someone else’s research.

He wasn’t publishing someone else’s research in the sense of presenting it under his own name, he was making the researcher’s already-published work available to others other than by subscription to the journal. I’ve published many articles in closed-access academic journals, and would be delighted if they were widely shared.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.