Colorized film and photos of a deadly Antarctic Expedition in 1912

That, and the eventual kitty cat stew. :scream:

1 Like

Dunno if that’s a good idea. While looking through an article on ship’s cats, I came across the story of “Unsinkable Sam” AKA Oscar.

Started his career as a cat on board the Bismarck. When that was sunk in May 1941, he survived with only 118 of the 2200 crew.

He was picked up and lived aboard HMS Cossack. Which was torpedoed and sank 5 months later.

After that, he moved to HMS Ark Royal, which had previously helped sink the Bismarck. This was also torpedoed and towed to Gibraltar, but sank 30 miles off the island. All but one of the crew were rescued, but they left Sam on board. ( I don’t know if this was intentional but I think it was. )

Sam was later found drifting on wreckage, were he was transferred to land by HMS Legion (sunk in 1942) and HMS Lightning (sunk in 1943).

Don’t fuck with nautical kitties. They know how to get revenge.

4 Likes

Exactly. In fact, silent film had a language for tinting, so flashbacks were a certain color: blue = night, red = fire, green = sylvan scene, yellow = sunny day. Some films used green for flashbacks. This is the colorizing that they did for the 1924 film, to retain the artist’s intended colors. The score on the other hand…

2 Likes

Awww… that’s sweet… making a little stew just for the cat…

4 Likes

I always figured Jonesy from the first Alien film was part of this grand tradition. Cat goes missing you gotta figure it knows something you dont. Rescuing said animal is always counterproductive in these stories.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.