Comcast wouldn't cancel service for man whose house burned down

This is journalist speak for “blah blah blah”

3 Likes

…As long as “what I know” is how old I am or something. As soon as it leads to “security questions” I’m out. I have an odd aversion to recording somewhere who my first love was or the make of my favorite car in high school.

1 Like

Completely agree. Yeah, I was thinking of things like birth dates, middle names, mother’s maiden name, that sort of thing.

1 Like

But … ‘how old am I?’ and things like birth dates, middle names, mother’s maiden name are security questions. They’re just really shitty ones that are absurdly easy to spoof. Security questions as a backdoor to a system are generally a really bad idea, but implementing a bad instantiation of security questions is a REALLY bad idea.

My pet peeve is absurdly convoluted security applied to something that is kinda meaningless. Something like a password plus a security question plus a one-time code texted to your phone in order to … check my library card :rage:

I have home telephone, cellular, internet and cable (fiber) TV all with the same company. It is cross-referenced with my home telephone number, not an account number.

You are giving Comcast the benefit of the doubt when it is not appropriate. The customer service rep in the department that handles disconnect calls are pushed hard to avoid any cancellations. Their job performance is based on that, regardless of how many of the situations are appropriate.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.