Comic about three weeks on an oceanographic research vessel

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/01/27/comic-about-three-on-an-oceano.html

3 Likes

I recently finished reading Lucy’s documentary-comic “Baggywrinkles,” about sailing ships and scurvy and such.

6 Likes

Awesome, although there is a missed joke in there about Joyce, John and Jonathan mapping the Johnston Atoll.

I see a @Falcor!

10 Likes

Thanks Mark - just what I needed. I like the clear line stuff, I like seeing science done, and I like the low key everyday feel to it - a triple winner.

6 Likes

Neat. My dads time in the Navy was on an oceanographic mapping vessel, the USS Tanner, mapping the waters in SE Asia, including the Mariana’s Trench - which may or may not contain an old radio of his…

6 Likes

Science, exciting and new
Come aboard, were expecting you
Science, life’s sweetest reward
Public domain, to the world from you

Science Boat soon will be making another run
The Science Boat promises something for everyone
Set a course for adventure
Your mind on a new paradigm

This guy probably would have loved being on the Science Boat, especially if it got him off of that damned island!

3 Likes

Let me tell you about my boat.

4 Likes

Baggywrinkles are still a thing, though they tend to be made of relatively high tech materials these days.

Explained here in Lucy Bellwood’s definitely-not-fllthy but still NSFW definitions of sailing jargon.

I was hoping to see tales of “Boaty McBoatface”. That name still makes me bursts into fits of uncontrollable laughter.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.