Community attempts to use sand to stop the ocean and fails

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/03/11/community-attempts-to-use-sand-to-stop-the-ocean-and-fails.html

8 Likes

…and whoever that contractor was that did the work is probably long gone…or: “For a $1MM I can make it last a week…”

16 Likes

The ocean has no consideration for how much you paid for your ocean front property. The meaning for a property being underwater is going to change over the next couple decades.

30 Likes

my non-expert guess on the value of his property is “significantly less than it was a couple of years ago, trending towards $0” but that’s just ballpark

20 Likes

This seems like the setup for a middle-school maths problem.

41 Likes

That’s one hell of a sand salesperson though, I tell you what

23 Likes

If they’re smart they’re downshore scooping up the sand right now!

Maybe they could get into the sand-rental business. I know some breweries that probably rent out their beer

19 Likes

Sorry folks, if you haven’t figured out it’s a really bad time to have beachfront property by now, I don’t know what to tell you.

I suppose having beachfront property is now a luxury limited to the kinds of very wealthy people who can afford to dump half-a-million dollars worth of sand on their beach on a regular basis, fully with the expectation that it’s going to be an ongoing (and increasing) cost until the property is worthless in a few short years.

17 Likes

no, no. that’s what taxpayers are for…

18 Likes
12 Likes

And so castles made of sand
Fall into the sea
eventually

—Jimi Hendrix

27 Likes

I just canute see why this sea defence plan failed.

20 Likes

Yeah, that’s been true, but I think we’re finally hitting the point where it’s shifting over in cases like this. The costs are so big - and continuous - that it’s taking private money to keep the property desirable. Governments are bailing people out, who built where they shouldn’t have, when the properties become worthless and unlivable (even if they’re paying to have the property get used again).

9 Likes

Crikey, here in Chicago we know that you have build up riprap under the sand to break the force of the waves and retain any sand.
These landowners do not seem to have done any due diligence when they applied their environmental engineering. Didn’t they need any kind of permitting?

8 Likes

Should have gotten a Dutch contractor

18 Likes

That dune only lasted 24 times longer that the one I just saw at the theatre.

22 Likes

Enough of this sort of thing & we may eventually start to see the end of “private beaches”. 'Course not until after tax payers have subsidized successive years of failures. And then tax payer money finally used to purchase the dwindling oceanfront plots…

9 Likes

Monorails are on stilts so they don’t wash away!

19 Likes

It’s a great time to invest in a houseboat though!

6 Likes

Man, Lex Luthor was really ahead of his time.

QxQdF_HNls55xNvsV1EMd6Y3Ez22x2MzhnTikf-IkO4

17 Likes