Community attempts to use sand to stop the ocean and fails

Rip rap just shifts the problems down shore.

3 Likes

Once again, systemic solutions are needed, not just minor lifestyle changes. In fact for many to make those lifestyle changes, we need systemic change.

9 Likes

Almost 1.8¢ a pound doesn’t sound too bad, but $115.74/minute sure does.

5 Likes

I’ll see you and raise.

11 Likes

One season it’s the beach, the next season it’s the living room.

4 Likes

6 Likes

Once again, thank you so much. :smiley:

Guess it’s time for those rich fuckers to move into their inland bunkers.

1 Like

Of course, we do have more practical solutions for coastal erosion. But I suppose those would spoil the view

8 Likes

It is indeed a wider problem, not just impacting wealthy elites. Here in Australia it is easier to identify areas not subject to increased insurance costs and limitations. Between floods, coastal erosion, fire, violent storms and such. All costs end up being passed on to the renter.

6 Likes
1 Like

It’s clearly a game of hot potato and everyone is sure they’re not going to be last.

I went searching for a Washington Post article I remembered about people moving Nags Head houses back as they hoped to not be last one holding the bag. Instead I found one about two houses the National Park Service bought specifically to tear down. They’re trying to open up beach access and remove the danger posed by debris as the houses are reclaimed by the ocean. NPS paid $100,000 less than the last sale price for each house. What stood out to me was both owners bought those houses less than 2 years ago. In 2021 and “two summers ago”. The owner before them was clearly the hot potato winner. While these owners didn’t lose everything, $100K plus in less than two years is still quite something. They didn’t even get a college degree for the cost.

5 Likes

Next will be luxury rigs, reclaimed for pennies on the dollar from Big Oil in the Gulf. I’m sure they have a great view. They could become beach bunker chic for billionaires who don’t want to build their own.

4 Likes

Nothing quite like concentrating all of your weather/climate risk in one geographic location all subject to the same catastrophic event. Looks like they have $524,949,374,472 of exposure on $4,050,110,932 of income and $10,314,678,068 of assets. Plus a bunch of existing liabilities and expenses. I’m sure that’s going to work out just fine for them.

Presuming the state of FL pays out to cover all the claims, because I’m sure the state has many billions of surplus sitting around. Have we had a state go bankrupt yet? What’s the process for the federal government to bail out a state?

3 Likes

2 Likes

Residents in this community might learn something from areas (and projects) like this:

3 Likes

Move military industrial complexes to set up shop in said states.

See multiple Red States.

Oh and FEMA.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.