Companies keep losing your data because it doesn't cost them anything

This.
To them the mosquito-sized fines are just CODB (cost of doing business). Until Congress is removed from the corporate money te*t, very little of any punitive relevance will occur.

Not sure if you are agreeing or disagreeing, but thought it might be worth an example. Let’s take Equifax as an example. 145+ million people exposed. Ignoring data fields below 145 million, there’s 8 data fields. Oh, but one is SS#. So 145* (7+100) = 15,515. It would have been a 15.5 billion dollar fine. A billion without the SS part of the fine.

That sort of risk starts making companies be a wee bit more cautious. Cure? No. But moves the needle.

2 Likes

It’s bad when we are a customer but with a breech like Equifax we were not the customer we were the product and really had no choice in participating

1 Like

At least in Europe they now get fined 4% of yearly turnover, I look forward to big tech subsidizing my taxes.

1 Like

This article was fucking grounding and educational. thank you.

Maintaining better security from thieves (but not from the FBI) is
merely a patch to eliminate some symptoms. The cure is to switch to
anonymous payment systems such as GNU Taler (taler.net), so that
the site or business would not have any personal data about you and
therefore couldn’t hand it or leak it to anyone.

See https://gnu.org/philosophy/surveillance-vs-democracy.html.

1 Like

Agreeing to what? Do you disagree that it is heinous that you are merely a commodity to these companies? And that when they lose your data, which they shouldn’t have in the first place, nothing happens to them of consequence (like shutting them down) that might give them a reason to work on their security?

I give you one of the most secretly radical scenes in recent Hollywood history:

fight-clubcreditagencies

4 Likes

Are you really RMS? :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.