Company says facial features reveal terrorists and pedophiles 80% of the time

Which bit?

Bayes’s Theorem.

If 1 person in 1000 is a terrorist and 1000 people are tested with this thing, how many false positives will there be?

Approximately 200.

How many terrorists will be detected?

Answer: There is only an 80% chance of detecting the terrorist.

So in terms of people subjected to further testing, the effective false positive rate is not 20%. It is 25000%.

Thus, even if the test worked, it would still be completely useless.

16 Likes

Why is this company even trying to sell its services to catch terrorists? They’d make a lot more money, faster, by entering professional poker tournaments. If they really want to do a civic duty, retire on that fat poker money (as proof that it works) and offer the technology to governments for free.

4 Likes

I’d want to run some test samples first before I was willing to buy into it.

20 Likes

Well this help cut down on the long TSA lines? Cause I can see them buying into this steaming pile.

3 Likes

I assume it will make them longer.

7 Likes

Contrary to your contrarianism, no one ever meets an aggregate person and even the gold-standard scientific analysis of biometrics fail because those features just aren’t very predictive. (i.e. determining that some measurement is statistically significant is showing something more like detectability, not that the effect is large.)

3 Likes

It’s the collars that give 'em away every time…

11 Likes

So to be clear if given one million images it will falsely identify 200,000 as terrorists and pedophiles.

Good job there!

3 Likes

I suspect your comment is tongue in cheek, but note that abuse rates are the same in protestant churches as well.

4 Likes

It’s contrarians all the way down.

6 Likes

You’re assuming there is not interference in natural development. I have a recessive jawline but if this was corrected I would have a massive lantern jaw. I have no idea where my testosterone production lies, but either way, it could be misleading.

3 Likes

I thought everyone knows it’s the paedosmile?

3 Likes

molestache

4 Likes

Don’t they wear collars as well?

1 Like

I doubt very much I can link to the Greatest Webpage in the Universe Ever from work, but I can see that you’ve got the idea.

1 Like

Some times. Some just wear T-Shirt.

If you misread this, “falsely identify 200,000 terrorists as pedophiles” the whole thing just seems bizarre.

Come on, it’s 2016, who gets cosmetic alterations to their naturally occurring jaw structure?

5 Likes

I believe that there is some research that shows this may be incorrect. High testosterone may also be associated with enhanced cooperative behaviour.
Plus of course and taking the words at face level, a “statistically elevated level” may mean nothing at all for an individual. If population A has an average IQ of 100, and population B of 101, and the difference is significant at, say, the 2 sigma level - the difference would be significant statistically but of no importance whatsoever.

1 Like

Company says facial features reveal terrorists and pedophiles 80% of the time

13 Likes