Computer programming for fun and profit

People who use it for data crunching and analysis use packages like numpy and Pandas that are, in fact, just a bunch of calls to C libraries.

I would say it’s more for interactive analysis and quick scripts that don’t need to run super fast. A typical workflow for me would be to prototype algorithms in Python, and then, when I get something that works (and that I know is possible to run really fast, based on the types of math used) then I hand it off to someone else, who will implement it in c++ and optimize it so it runs really fast on a supercomputer.

Different tools for different jobs.

3 Likes

To be perfectly clear, nobody has EVER asked me to teach people how to write software.

On a long drive, my wife once asked me how exactly computers work. I remember saying “Well, they’re actually quite simple…” before I bored her for an hour explaining how every little part works.

5 Likes

Perhaps she was looking for an adverb; consider ‘poorly’, ‘intermittently’, or ‘often unexpectedly’ the next time this question comes up.

6 Likes

Just going through Python-Flask with SocketIO. Sigh The documentation is patchy, as it’s an add-on library based on a Javascript/Node.js add-on.

There are examples out there, but so many of them seem like Cargo Cult programming: Well-crafted, but where they didn’t really understand the underlying library. 80% are chat apps, based on the Node.js example, which stops short of using bidirectional websockets or messages directed to a single client, and so neither do they.

One that I’m looking at now, does the missing stuff, but opens three websockets to do it. (Four sockets per client including the base HTTP one.) It may work, but that’s just wrong! Plus the example code uses hardwired IPs and port numbers.

Unf!

3 Likes

“It’s 03:30 AM - do you know where your pointers are?”

2 Likes

Seg Fault

1 Like

IDENTIFICATION DIVISION.
PROGRAM-ID. SCALEBYTWO
PROCEDURE DIVISION.
MULTIPLY A BY 2 GIVING A
STOP RUN.

1 Like

Assembly programming really makes you appreciate how much higher level programming languages do for you.

9 Likes

That’s multiplication, not division.

yeah, I know, but it was still confusing at first

2 Likes

Cobol programmers needed in New Jersey.

Gag! Why wont this one box properly?

4 Likes

COBOL-coding volunteers sought as creaking mainframes slow New Jersey’s coronavirus response

5 Likes
5 Likes

There is nothing wrong with COBOL.

5 Likes

No, and it is actually very much still in use in the financial industry.

8 Likes

f547b442700084b3c34f17bcf306d94f2c470ccd_2_333x500

9 Likes

Only took me a nanosecond.

1 Like

That’s quite the distance…

1 Like

It is kind of a pain to get your deck of cards ready, take it to the window and then wait for them to run it, then find out that you missed ending a line with a period.

What…?

3 Likes

That’s basically my first encounter with FORTRAN77.
Luckily the card reader at the computer centre broke, wasn’t replaced, and we were allowed to use the terminals.

2 Likes

Need a new IT role? These organizations are hiring engineers, leaders, analysts – see inside for more details

2 Likes