Consumer Reports warns against Lunchables due to high sodium, lead, cadmium, and toxins

How do we keep them out of our gullets when they are literally part of the food? I would be interested to see if an “organic” version of lunchables gave similar results.

3 Likes

Man, as an old GenX’er I loved Bag O’Glass! I loved that toy as much as I loved my Johnny Switchblade Adventure Punk. I’m to this day annoyed my parents never got Teddy Chainsaw Bear.

7 Likes

Those things were so cool they’re still being recalled!

3 Likes

Oh it is totally true if you put a Stretch Armstrong in an oven it will cause a small radioactive explosion. I knew guy who said his cousin did it.

5 Likes

Team Happy Fun Ball here!

If Happy Fun Ball begins to smoke, seek shelter and cover head.

5 Likes

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball…

6 Likes

And they just covered the featured article too!

3 Likes

I dont know about cadmium occur naturally, but in the case of lead, its a pretty brazen statement given the fact of the usage of leaded gas for decades.

Um, even without those nasties, Lunchables are hardly healthy to begin with.

1 Like

Lead occurs in soil before we start having to take into account contamination from leaded paint and gas–UMass Amherst Ag puts it at 15-40 ppm. ( Soil and Plant Nutrient Testing Laboratory: Soil Lead Fact Sheet | Center for Agriculture, Food, and the Environment at UMass Amherst )

There’s a lot less cadmium–maybe ,36 ppm, Cadmium in soils and groundwater: A review - PMC --but cadmium’s much worse stuff, gram for gram. And it too is present where people are at levels higher than background: among other things, it’s used for corrosion resistance.

3 Likes

So, the listed MADL for lead is .5ug. One of the listed meals is 2.4 ounces, and 67% of MADL. Doing the math for concentration, that’s about 5 PPB. Ideally it would be zero, but since wheat is a major contributor to this level, I’m not sure how we’re going to remove lead from millions of acres of farm land.

4 Likes

I’ve heard that lead paint chips are delicious, too!

1 Like

I wonder why they chose to focus on a this potential non issue when there are plenty of other legitimate problems with lunchables.

For example, the lead and cadmium levels don’t concern me nearly as much as the packaging waste.

I won’t buy them for my kids because of the obscene amount of single use plastic that will almost certainly never be actually recycled.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.