Cookin' with gadgets: Instant Pot corned beef on bread machine rye

Originally published at: Cookin' with gadgets: Instant Pot corned beef on bread machine rye | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Machines to make the corned beef and rye. Big ol glass jar to ferment the kraut for 3-4 weeks.

I usually have a jar going but this time I just got some market kraut.

Irish soda bread with caraway is a good choice too.

1 Like

try replacing 1/4 cup of that water with dill pickle juice!

My last Breadmaker loaf was Irish potato bread and I can highly recommend it. Light, fluffy, delicious.

1 Like

We rediscovered our ancient Presto pressure cooker this past year, and after replacing the seals have been using it regularly, That you can go from a slab of raw meat and pile of raw vegetables to a fully cooked, tender, tasty pot roast in 45 minutes with essentially no effort is remarkable.

1 Like

Almost all meat cooked in an InstaPot will benefit from a full natural release. I no longer remember why, but I’ll bet the corned beef would be even better with no steam release.

1 Like

Around the end of February I started getting a craving for corned beef & cabbage, a dish my mother used to make quite often & which I very much enjoyed. I hadn’t made it myself in decades (I really don’t know why not). So I went shopping - seasoned brisket (2lbs was plenty for just me), a head of cabbage, carrots, potatoes - got home, put the groceries away, and then didn’t have a chance to do anything with it for about two weeks.

Woke up one morning, said to myself, “This is the day”, and put the meat in the Instant Pot (80min pressure, 10min natural release), then the veggies (5min pressure, but a minute less probably would have been even better, followed by quick release). It was absolutely delicious - the somewhat blandness of the vegetables perfectly balanced the salty seasoning of the meat.

Only several days later, when relating this craving and its consequences to a friend (the person who had given me my Instant Pot as a gift - not a coincidence), did I realize I’d made corned beef & cabbage for St. Patrick’s Day.

I made rye bread in my bread machine and corned beef in the Instant Pot.

Isn’t that kind of a “dog bites man” story? Now, try vice versa for a potentially happy mutation. Or at least a good story of what you learned from the explosions along the way.

2 Likes

I think I blacked out reading this recipe.
Can’t wait to try it.

I used to sell corned beef sandwiches at a Jewish deli when I lived in south Florida. Rye bread WITH carraway seeds was far more popular (except with some of the older folks who had diverticulitis.) Seedless rye is bland and boring.

Seeds or no seeds there is only rye.

I get it that I’m a curmudgeon. But I’ve been using pressure cookers since I was in my 20s (30 years ago) and learned how from my grandmother. I get it that people are discovering pressure cookers because of the highly popular brand of electric pressure cooker (and I know it does more, blah blah blah). And I am in favor of popularizing the use of pressure cookers (more recipes for me!). But, for the love of all that is holy, do we have to adopt the brand name of an arguably inferior in many ways product? Is pressure cooker corned beef less sexy than Instant Pot corned beef? Is this an ad for a product? Or is it just a fait accomplis (spelling?) that Instant Pot: Pressure Cooker as Kleenex: tissue paper?

Ugh. Sorry. It’s fine. But ugh.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.