Cool shots from the Chronos Ring high-speed camera array

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2021/01/02/cool-shots-from-the-chronos-ring-high-speed-camera-array.html

4 Likes

Pretty stunning!
You could probably also get some amazing images of me projectile vomiting from watching all the amazements.

7 Likes

The technology is amazing but they need a better editor. The constant spinning in one direction got boring after a while and was too fast to see the fascinating high speed shots’ details anyway. In the hands of a competent editor this would be worth the expense so much more. For example imagine the bullet hitting the soda can but it starts with the bullet travelling along the camera axis towards the can at medium speed. As it touches it the scene slows down, we rotate to see a side view of the entry wound spewing soda and the exit wound forming. We rotate further to look right down the bullet travelling towards us. We rewind to a moment the bullet has just exited and spin around the frozen scene for 360°.

Something like that rather than a constant turntable effect.

15 Likes

Very interesting rig, but I could only get halfway through the video. It was making me dizzy.

4 Likes

Yeah, video editing is similar to the early days of desktop publishing. Just because everyone can do it now, doesn’t mean everyone should do it now.

5 Likes

Super awesome but like others I only made it to the 4 minute mark before I had to exit the merry-go-around.

dizzy

7 Likes

Looks like his last 12 bucks went to the purchase of some cheap sparkling wine.

1 Like

The good folks over at The Hydraulic Press channel have done some videos with this, or a similar, setup.

Moi moi!

1 Like

“Thanks for sending in your resume. We’ll get back to you if a position opens.”

1 Like

That’s a lot of work and a lot of expensive cameras. Much respect for that. However. It could definitely use some machine learning-mediated post-processing to interpolate between the different camera viewpoints. Right now, the rotation aspect is choppy and fast (presumably to mask even more choppiness). Maybe ML can even halve the amount of cameras needed (or less).

1 Like

Wish they’d some more with the Prince Rupert’s Drop.

They have it spin because that way they get the highest frame rate. The cameras are not all taking photos at the same time; they are triggered in a ring formation a tiny fraction of a second after each other. Some of the shots were 100,000fps which means 1/100,000s between one camera firing and the next one. I absolutely agree that the spinning effect was overwhelming and detracted from the shots but this video was their first “proof of concept” and was just kind of a “check this out we just got it working” thing. The builder said they could have all the cameras fire at once and do a pannable shot that could be studied from any viewpoint but the limit then would be the framerate of one camera. At the high resolution I believe that’s around 1057fps so significantly less time detail would be available.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.