Cops raid suspected weed grow op only to find bitcoin mine

Originally published at: Cops raid suspected weed grow op only to find bitcoin mine | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Far worse but technically legal. (except for the energy theft.)

20 Likes

thousands of pounds of electricity

Now THAT is a lot of electrons!

30 Likes

But its OK since they are all negatively charged.

16 Likes

Make growing hemp legal. Besides is very easy to grow it using solar power.

14 Likes

I remember that episode!

4 Likes

nerd_alert nerd_alert ee-oo-ee-oo [alarm based on sheldon snoring]

• The invariant mass of an electron is approximately 9.109×10−31 kilograms [wikipedia]
  • units ‘2000 lbs’ kg → 907.18474
  • 907.18474 / 9.109e-31 → 995921330552201119771654407728620.04 e− (9.96e32)

(“nerd-alert has to work on his significant figures”)
((units poundsterling Definition: britainpound = unitedkingdompound = ukpound = 1.3631358657839 USD … hmm))

6 Likes

I had two immediate thoughts - that they were better off raiding a bitcoin mine than a grow house, and that their evidential standard for raiding a house completely sucks if they can’t distinguish a marijuana operation from something completely unrelated. I mean, it’s not like they were even in the same ballpark. I have to hope that the raid was justified purely because of the stolen electricity.

8 Likes

That’s a lot of Green Processor Units.

I get that their electric bill was High, but do they deserve to be Stoned because of it?

They only got arrested because the electrons were moving. Think about it, dude. We’re surrounded by particles that are moving, man.

4 Likes

1 Like

Now do pot grow ops.

4 Likes

As of March cryptocurrency mining was up to 0.59% of the world’s energy usage.
Bitcoin's energy consumption has jumped 80% since the beginning of 2020, according to a study from Cambridge | Currency News | Financial and Business News | Markets Insider.

Really though, greenhouse growing of cannabis is not great:
https://www.ncsl.org/research/energy/electricity-use-in-marijuana-production.aspx

They need to legalize it everywhere so it can be grown in the most sensible way.

5 Likes

I’ll smoke to that.
smiley-channelde_rauchen001

1 Like

it’s not literally using up all the electricity yet

2 Likes

checks what country

Is the US exporting this nonsense or has this always been the norm over there?

1 Like

Someday, somebody is going to build a Dyson Sphere to suck up all of the energy emitted by the sun, and all for Bitcoin and NFTs.

6 Likes

There was nobody there to arrest.

Considering how few people actually use Bitcoin, that’s alarming that they are already visible on the chart.

12 Likes

“Our pyramid scheme is ONLY using 0.06% of ALL THE POWER IN THE WORLD …”

7 Likes

Always nice to see a “sustainability driven” company, like Blockcap claims to be, evaluate their impact against literally the largest numbers they could possibly find. Definitely inspires confidence they take environmental concerns seriously, maybe even as much as fossil fuel companies.

I know there’s no real direction of up in space, but that picture of the Earth still feels oddly tilted to me.

3 Likes