Cops raided a smalltown newspaper so no-one would ever find out of about police chief Gideon Cody's alleged sexual misconduct or Kari Newell's DUI conviction

A copy of the warrant, signed by Judge Laura Viar.

15 Likes

Smart move, now instead of everyone knowing about **

> Gideon Cody’s alleged sexual misconduct and Kari Newell’s DUI conviction

they’ll instead focus on how they’re fascist shitheels who shouldn’t be in any sort of position of authority. That’s much better.

10 Likes

The idea of nationalizing law enforcement would be a tough sell in the United States, and it probably wouldn’t make sense given how much laws vary from state to state and region to region. That said, there clearly needs to be more oversight for out-of-control local departments like this one.

11 Likes

… as long as search engines and journalists now know to properly identify “alleged sexual predator Gideon Cody” and “convicted drunk driver Kari Newell” whenever they’re in the news again :thinking:

14 Likes

I realise that a national police would be impossible in the USA, but tiny police and sheriff’s departments could be replaced by state police.

7 Likes

… in the U.S. the whole rationale for a community to incorporate as a “city” may be that the local rich people want their own cops, rather than begging favors from a larger sheriff’s office

10 Likes

3 shifts? 7 days a week?

3 Likes

That is the case in some places.

The platonic and much-romanticized ideal of the “small town police department” is something like Sheriff Andy Taylor of Mayberry, a local who knows everyone and understands their problems and abhors violence and is more concerned with finding peaceful resolution than arresting people. Unfortunately that kind of thing is very rare in practice if it ever truly existed at all.

15 Likes

Came here to see if anyone had invoked the “Streisand Effect” and came away impressed… (linkified for the 1% who don’t already know about that)

7 Likes

Canada has a national police force and laws vary from province to province lots. It’s not a problem. Not that America would ever go for it, but a national police to handle everything outside of cities works really well. You get efficiencies of scale, no stupid turf wars between sheriffs and local departments, no small towns buying armoured personal carriers and SWAT teams, etc. America is overpoliced to a shocking degree. Standing on any given square metre of the country, there’s a dozen local, county, state, and national law enforcement agencies that all have jurisdiction over you.

That ideal is not at odds with national police. My local RCMP detachment are the same guys and gals who’ve been there for many years. Everyone knows them, they have coffee and chat with people around town, etc. They are resourced and trained by the national organization, but they’re still “our” small town police station.

15 Likes

Fair point, but I am not sure how in demand late night shifts are.

I saw on the towns page I was from, which has 22 officers, it does say they do 12 hr shifts.

4 Likes

This is not always helpful. Example: Texas state police were asked to supplement the Austin PD when staffing was low. The result was some damned suspicious ticketing of more brown people and more excess use of force. The city asked them to leave after a few months. Which didn’t work because now the door was open and working-towards-facism governor ordered them to stay

15 Likes

sometimes small time police departments exist because they create revenue.

sometimes, the town exists in order to supply the police department with authority.

If a navigable river flows though your land, you need to put a chain across that river and start charging tolls.

7 Likes

barbra streisand

9 Likes

It also sounds like a 4th Amendment violation. I hope the paper has hired a good civil rights attorney. This is Gestapo level shit.

15 Likes

what people are saying that appears to be missing is the statement of probable cause. neither the court nor the police are willing to release that affidavit. and i suspect that means it doesn’t exist…

it’s supposed to provide the grounds for any search warrant

13 Likes

Another issue here would be small towns that are very remote, so calling police could mean you’d be waiting several hours for aid. The place I live, fer instance, has a population of 8,000, is located right on the state border, and is located an hour away from the nearest larger town.

2 Likes

My 8k person town has a force of around 24. Then there’s the sheriff’s department for the county.

There’s a small paper that’s like the group @VeronicaConnor describes for her area. But it’s a “don’t rock the boat” paper. There is corruption and physical intimidation that would make your hair stand on end, with lots of folks — White, Black, Brown — of all social classes too afraid to do anything about it. Even a couple of major national spotlights in the last 4 years didn’t move anything.

4 Likes

A great many First Nations people would disagree with that statement.

It can work, but when it doesn’t the problem is lack of recourse. If your local police do something wrong, there’s a chance the state cops or the FBI will help. Not a sure thing, but a chance. If you’re in rural Manitoba and your local police do you wrong you can’t go to the feds for help because they are your local police.

8 Likes

Good luck finding a “larger news org” that isn’t owned by the same billionaires that are paying good money to keep these kinds of fascist apparatchiks in power.

4 Likes