Cormac McCarthy on how to write a scientific (or any kind of) paper

:joy:

Thank you!

2 Likes

I’m assuming that it is a suggestion to replace commas with full-stops/periods where possible. Left to my own devices, as I usually find myself, I am prone to run-on sentences, that, on reflection, could be better served by some editing, to enhance comprehension.

1 Like

THAT is the much better proposal!

EDIT: But, I fear, that it wasn’t meant like this. The full point is:

is it possible to preserve my original message without that punctuation mark, that word, that sentence, that paragraph or that section? Remove extra words or commas whenever you can.

So, this clearly means remove (allegedly) superfluous things.

Your – very valid – point comes later:

Keep sentences short, simply constructed and direct. Concise, clear sentences work well for scientific explanations. Minimize clauses, compound sentences and transition words — such as ‘however’ or ‘thus’ — so that the reader can focus on the main message.

However, I am not a fan of the second part of that recommendation either. There are words, like “however” or “thus”, that make it clear that a new sentence is in a specific connection to the previous sentence. Thus, a reader can follow the train of thoughts.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.