Corporations, capitalism and conceptions of the self

Originally published at: Corporations, capitalism and conceptions of the self | Boing Boing

6 Likes

The book is by Joel Bakan, not Bacon.

4 Likes

I remember the first time The Century of Self was recommended to me and learning about Edward Bernays and his adaptation of Freud’s theories to public relations and propaganda. It’s a really incredible documentary and one I continue to recommend to anyone who hasn’t seen it or is unfamiliar with the ideas it discusses.

2 Likes

Yep.

@boingboing pls correct the spelling of the author’s name.

1 Like

“The idea that each corporation can be a feudal monarchy and yet behave in its corporate action like a democratic citizen concerned for the world we live in is one of the great absurdities of our time.”

— Kim Stanley Robinson, Antarctica

ETA:

Hard to jail a corporation.
Hmm.

6 Likes

Thank you for this fine piece.
FYI, The Corporation has since been updated: The New Corporation: The Unfortunately Necessary Sequel - thenewcorporation(dot)movie/
All is by no means hopeless on this front. Move to Amend (www(dot)movetoamend(dot)org/) is a growing national movement educating, advocating and organizing to abolish the bizarre doctrine of corporate constitutional rights. Over 600 organizations and 700 communities have take action, while the We the People Amendment (HJR48), www (dot)movetoamend(dot)org/amendment, has 93 Congressional cosponsors. Nearly 500,000 individuals support the cause, which can be joined by going to www(dot)movetoamend(dot)org/motion

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.