Could you care less or couldn't you care less?

Seconded.
Though I’d prefer to say: if you want to make someone think about what they just said, respond with…

1 Like

It’s not a colloquialism, it’s a solecism!

1 Like

Surprised this one’s not been posted here yet:

Meaning you couldn’t care less, or you could care less? I’m so confused.

Or both? I’m thinking both.

2 Likes

Yep, you got it right.

2 Likes

You know, the worst part about that movie is that its basic premise is based on something that actually happened. Actually, it’s happened more than once. Emergency guardianships are much too easy to get in some states, and it leads to that kind of abuse. Take the Russian mafia out of that movie, and it’s essentially a true story.

2 Likes

I mean, “I couldn’t care less” is definitely a colloqualism. So when people say it wrong…?

…it’s another colloquialism. :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Ordinary person: I could care less.
Intellectual: I could care fewer.

10 Likes

Ser Davos Jon Snow GIF by BuzzFeed

4 Likes

This is probably my number one occurence of reporting typos on Kindle…

I am going out of my way to report every example i see, even if i have to do it 50x per book (Apologies Kindle employees)

Second bad is your/you’re. I’m sometimes convinced authors just roll a dice as to which version gets typed…

As for third, i’d go past/passed. I’ve seen many books where it’s clear the author clicked ‘correct all’ in word(or a similar program) and just shipped it…

5 Likes

As the general lead his soldiers up the hill, he could of paused to admire the sun set. A lass, he was to valiant four such Tom Foolery.

5 Likes

Make It Stop My Brain Hurts GIF by Monty Python

5 Likes
1 Like

Language evolves so there’s nothing wrong with this at all, apparently.

I see your kitchen is currently stocked with both apples and oranges.

2 Likes

Conversation from college years:

“So is it ‘anal-retentive,’ or ‘anally retentive?’”
“Yes.”
“Huh?”
“You are.”

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.