Cover reveal for My Best Friend's Exorcism - looks like 1980s VHS rental

I was more into this Rick when I was a wee thing in the early 80s.

2 Likes

As I was a severe music nerd in the 1980s (and still am) I would point out that the 1980s were a great period for underground music. The sticking point being that the only way you could hear it was to buy it and the only way to buy it was to drive all over the damn place in a state of despairing patience. I know so very much more about 1980s music NOW than I could have known if you had given me $10,000 and set me loose in Manhattan THEN.

I remember on my 18th birthday, I decided to watch “Eraserhead.” I drove 16 miles to the nearest town with a video store and rented the movie. AND THE VCR. I went home and watched the movie and had a good laugh. What a treat! Then I repeated the process the next day to return that thing. Good times. You really EARNED your romantic, useless, nobody’s-impressed, “indie cred.”

The most hideous, unendurable lie that I hear about the 1980s is that it was a period of economic prosperity. Sure, it was great if you lived in an urban area and worked in finance. I’m sure it was great if you were already retired. Other than that, it was The Death of Downtown and the very moment that productivity became unhitched from working class wages. As far as I’m concerned, we’re all still living in the 1980s. Especially as of a couple of months ago.

6 Likes

Ahem…

Funny how much that sounds like a Cars song!

This one summed up my 80s experience:

1 Like

3 Likes

ugh… you’re gonna make me lose my canuck cred… cuz I hate Rush.

Yes thank you I know I’ve replied to Donald more than three times, hush BBS, its ok.

3 Likes

Ha! My sister would have thought you were so cool!

One of her faves:

4 Likes

This was my introduction to same, courtesy of a music teacher who each week got one of us to bring in a record to play to the class:

And I was all like:

(In my head, obviously. Our music teacher was cool, but he wasn’t that cool.)

4 Likes

Take off!

1 Like

So true. I lived between Brussels and Berlin, which is where a whole lot of that music came from. In Brussels, you wouldn’t have suspected such a strong underground scene if you dindn’t know the secret ‘in’ places. Such a boring place at that time. Berlin, on the other hand, was sheer madness. A live zoo of craziness and eccentricity. No place to live if you weren’t ready to go down into a swirl of madness and debauchery.
Anyway, we were still kids, walking or hitchhiking about 20 km in a rag-tag group of five to ten to the next town of Leuven, because tat was the only place with a goth/punk disco.
Sometime, we walked back for 4-5 hours, until morning broke, exhausted but deeply satisfied to have visited the only place we knew that reflected what we were.

3 Likes

Seriously… I need a time machine.

3 Likes

In Bielefeld?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.