How Kevin Smith remembers the 1980s

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/07/31/how-kevin-smith-remembers-the-1980s.html

4 Likes

Fondly?

8 Likes

Whelp, I can see one thing this has in common with 80s teen films. The lead is Austin Zajur. Who is 28 years old.

21 Likes

That’s Hollywood for you - Robert Vaughn was 26 when he was in Teenage Caveman (1958).

10 Likes

Wow. This looks like total crap.

8 Likes

jay and silent bob strike back GIF by MIRAMAX

Yeah I think I’ll be watching that

9 Likes

Well that looks fun!

4 Likes

disagree GIF

But I’m a Smith fan, so…

10 Likes

I’m a Smith fan too.

Chacun à son goût.

7 Likes

I think it is spelt “Fonduely” :thinking:

6 Likes

Indeed! Tá a mblas féin ag gach duine!

6 Likes

13 Likes

Credit where credit’s due: At least he doesn’t have every character doing and wearing ALL THE 80s THINGS ALL THE TIME like other 1980s period pieces* do. I swear that people think the 80s means you spent all your time playing Donkey Kong while drinking from a garden hose while clad in neon aerobics wear and a giant perm.

*It seems really weird to refer to this as a period piece, but I couldn’t come up with a better description.

9 Likes

Relaxed Season 3 GIF by The Simpsons

Of course we did… and we liked it… we LOVED it! :laughing:

Season 2 Yes GIF by Showtime

8 Likes

That was the 70’s, man.

7 Likes

Happy Soul Train GIF

8 Likes

I will admit the first season of Stranger Things was so good mainly because it was a lot like how I remembered 1983, 1984. That was my junior year in high school, and just moved, and as I was already into computers and role playing games my lack of friends just helped make me even more of the geek I am today.

Honestly, I really don’t like remembering the 1980s. It wasn’t that great a decade for me, with undiagnosed ADHD.

13 Likes

I turned 22 in 1986 and was already married for 2 years with our 2 year old daughter.

I love any movie or TV show that gets me all nostalgic for the 70s and 80s.

Hopefully it’s makes it to streaming sooner than later.

8 Likes

Having things centre on going to the movies is a good move on a number of levels. That was the main activity with my friends in high school, in a way it doesn’t seem to be for teenagers today.

9 Likes

Always bears repeating that Kevin is an excellent, approachable, dude. (I’m local - about 5 mins away from the theater in the trailer.)

Trivia - that theater was in pretty dire straits, and he purchased it himself a few years back (it’s now rebranded under his smod name.)

His reputation is (deservedly so) pretty sterling around here.

16 Likes