Teen Wolf is so '80s

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/22/teen-wolf-is-so-80s.html

4 Likes

I still haven’t seen that one. I should see if the library has a copy.

9 Likes

Thanks - but I’ll stick with An American Werewolf in London. His hair was perfect!

21 Likes

Typical of the high-school teen comedy genre but has some good scenes.

5 Likes

The trailer itself is very '80s, right from the beginning when it name-checks the superstar actor instead of the character: “For Michael J Fox, life hasn’t been easy…”

16 Likes

The music alone! Like all decades, nostalgia just keeps the cooler bits when its references a decade. I forgot about wacky soundtracks for wacky movies from the actual 80’s.

5 Likes

Like… BOMP-CHIKA-CHIKA

4 Likes

It is probably going to be a miss since you didn’t see it when it would have been prudent - in the 80s when you were younger.

I feel that way about ET. We had a choice to see ET or the Dark Crystal, and my mom and sister went to ET, and I went to The Dark Crystal. I stand by my decision. When I finally got around to ET, I was like - meh.

Anyway - had the kiddo watch it last year. I - uh - didn’t remember the whole bra scene where the girl threw herself at Michael J Fox’s character. But I think she liked it over all. I just had her watch Raiders of the Lost Ark last weekend.

4 Likes

meh can’t be worse than some of the other stuff of the era I have seen.

5 Likes

You’ll likely remember it from all the clips and mentions and similar films, even without having seen it.

Hollywood magic!!

8 Likes

Like what? Yes it is annoying when nostalgia doesn’t live up to reality when you rewatch it. But I also think some of those movies were better because of the AGE you watched it. Like Monster Squad. OMG - I have never laughed as hard as I did when I saw that movie at the scene with the were wolf. My kid didn’t find it nearly as funny, but that’s ok.

But yeah, as an adult, it’s not really remarkable in anyway.

Teen Wolf as just OK. It isn’t like Back to the Future which I consider great on many levels.

1 Like

I liked Monster Squad on a rewatch but in different ways. I could see the love of the old universal monsters in it that I missed out on the first time.

And looking at the release date of August I was busy getting ready for college which why I missed it.

Being a very early gen x I not so much as missed out as I was busy with other priorities in my life from 1985ish on.

ETA also Wolfman’s got nards is still as funny to me at 51 years old as it was when I was a teen.

5 Likes

I only remember the Saturday morning cartoon, myself. Not so bad, as cartoons go.

2 Likes

Recently rewatched this for some reason. It… wasn’t great. It also features one of the absolute worst tropes of ‘80s “cinema”:

Unpopular guy is obsessed with popular but cruel and vapid cheerleader/prom queen/school play ingenue, starts acting like an asshole to everyone who cares about him, bangs popular girl, realizes he and she are both assholes, realizes his best friend is pretty cute and likes him even though he’s been horrible to her (which she seems incredibly willing to overlook because… he’s the lead, I guess?) and he is rewarded both for being a total monster as well as realizing he needs to change his monstrous ways.

See also: Caddyshack

12 Likes

I know I’ve seen the whole movie, but I just realized the only scenes I really remember are all the same scenes from the trailer.

5 Likes

Trope? Pretty sure you just described the entire plot of almost every 80s movie.

13 Likes

Just add about a dozen or so Michael J Fox double-takes, quick-stops and stupefied expressions and that’s basically the whole movie.image image image image

5 Likes

I’ll see your Michael J Fox and raise you one Samuel Z Arkoff.

3 Likes

You can never go wrong with AIP.

6 Likes

For some reason, the scenes I remember most featured someone other than the lead. James Hampton and Jay Tarses really made me laugh.