How Kevin Smith remembers the 1980s

comic con kevin smith gifs GIF by mtv

He seems like he’d be that… just a regular old mensch.

He’s like the Dolly Parton of… north? central? :thinking: … Jersey…

8 Likes

If this is an accurate film about 1986, it will have “Power of Love” by Hewy Lewis and the News playing on repeat for the entire length of the movie.

14 Likes

:joy: This is contentious at best. I’m originally a North Jerseyan, and call this the Shore (we are, after all, about 5 minutes from the beach.) My wife, originally from proper central jersey (a bit more inland) calls this cental Jersey.

Us north jersey people don’t generally think cental jersey exists - it’s north, south, or the shore.

One definitive - Kevin Smith land is definitely not north jersey.

3 Likes

Yeah, I got family around Rockaway? Also, some in Chatham and Gillette… but I have no idea what constitutes where in Jersey, though… I should get up there and see my fam sometimes soon!

Thanks!

Tell Smith I said hey if you see him around town!

Happy Jay And Silent Bob GIF

6 Likes

Donnie Darko is this for me, perhaps slightly later as its set in 1988 - but overall the more subdued 80’s sensibility resembles more realistically what I recall things feeling like in those years (and of course the fantastic soundtrack).

7 Likes

… there’s a movie set in 2011 (the height of the “hipster” era) as a period piece

2 Likes

They grow up so fast…

3 Likes

… soon they will be able to sell us nostalgia for our own present moments, nowstalgia, and we won’t need the past at all :thinking:

5 Likes

Nowstalgia® - by Veidt

11 Likes

Gavin Free Love GIF by Rooster Teeth

5 Likes

… Huey was right, we did need a new drug :face_with_spiral_eyes:

9 Likes

I was all about Burgertime, thank you very much. :smiley: At the local Pizza Hut, it was in one of those weird horizontal setups that looked like a coffee table, so you could sit down to play, but you kinda/sorta couldn’t see the screen that well. Especially with the empty soda glasses and ashtrays on it.

3 Likes

Honestly, I preferred Ms. Pac-man… but we got both an atari and later a nintendo at home… Our pizza hut did not have a video game machine, but it did have a jukebox.

3 Likes

That shape of arcade game is called a cocktail (as opposed to an upright). I think almost every Pizza Hut in the 80s had a Ms. Pac-Man cocktail arcade game in them.

6 Likes

Not mine… at least I don’t remember that they did? I could be mis-remembering…

4 Likes

In 1981, I was tasked with fetching the Sunday newspaper from the nearest 7-11, and was allowed to keep the change. They had a Ms. Pac-Man cabinet. In a couple months, I had all the high scores. If an arcade has a Ms. Pac-Man, I still play it. Galaga, too. I’m still kinda obsessed with Galaga.

13 Likes

Fun Yes GIF by Lilly Singh

6 Likes

Being a Goth, going to gigs 3X/wk and clubbing 2x/wk, all while very stoned and/or drunk helped me cope with the ronnie reaguns years.

4 Likes

I appreciated that most of the sets fell solidly on the “tacky wood paneling and glass cigarette trays” school of design instead of doing everything up in manic neon and “Memphis” patterns. It wasn’t always pretty, but it was accurate.

8 Likes

17 Likes