Covert scan of museum's Nefertiti bust appears to be hoax

I imagine if you made enough passes at the target with a low-resolution scanner, you could build up a hi-res image. Computers are good at that sort of thing now.

1 Like

I think that question is going about it backwards. I would ask rather, why does the museum have a moral right to restrict access to our shared cultural heritage? Restricting access to physical artifacts is often necessary because they are singular, delicate, and tempting to thieves; but data has no such limitations.

It should be the museum’s job to justify restrictions, not a critic’s job to justify liberties.

3 Likes

True, but with a reference point as wobbly as a walking human, it’s going to be very difficult to get each successive scan to line up perfectly with the others.

3 Likes

Difficult, but not impossible. Some solid work has been done in stabilizing video and overlaying multiple images to produce better ones. I think a couple of smart kids with kinects could do it in a very short time.

Edit: This is why Mythbusters shouldn’t have ended.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.