COVID-19 may cause sudden strokes in young adults, coronavirus doctors report

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/22/covid-19-may-cause-sudden-stro.html

3 Likes

As the list of symptoms and debilitating side effects of this disease continues to grow, I’ve started to lose track of them all. I’ve come to the following simple-to-remember summary:

Covid will fuck you up.

23 Likes

Blood clot issues certainly seem to be a thing:

9 Likes

“That’s when we knew we had a huge problem,” said Coopersmith, a critical-care surgeon. As he checked with his counterparts at other medical centers, he became increasingly alarmed: “It was in as many as 20, 30 or 40 percent of their patients.”

The concern is so acute some doctor groups have raised the controversial possibility of giving preventive blood thinners to everyone with covid-19 — even those well enough to endure their illness at home.

I have an inexplicable sudden craving for an aspirin.

10 Likes

Yeah best to stay out of the preferred PH range of the virus.

4 Likes

Wasn’t it aspirin and sterno?

5 Likes

Aspirin can change PH on its own I believe.

How does aspirin affect pH?

The aspirin causes blood pH to drop, and in response hyperventilation kicks in to raise the pH . An influx of an acid such as aspirin , or of a large dose of an alkaline substance like baking soda, can affect blood pH , but the effect is temporary due to the blood’s rapid buffering action.Mar 17, 2017

https://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=asperin+hange+ph&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

3 Likes

Add to this that strokes are silent and that victims are often unaware of them. Sure, when Gramps suddenly starts acting oddit’s one of the things people think of (if too late) but what if it’s the mother of two small children?

We’re only starting to see the whole “deaths from all causes” jump.

9 Likes

Yes, but in the book/movie, the old guy was also a sterno drinker. (Can you drink it, or is more like jellied alcohol?)

5 Likes

I think if Michael Crichton was alive he would be kicking himself for not releasing a book about a pandemic like this. Its got all the Crichton elements. Heroic scientists and doctors, obscure symptoms, major global crisis, and a nice tight timeline.

7 Likes

Only missing a left wing plot of some kind.

1 Like

There is also, possibly something they’re calling “covid toe”, which may be blood clot related;

6 Likes

Makes me wonder if there might be a new diagnostic technique here. Like using an ultrasound to look for small clots in arteries. Potentially quite cheap, non-invasive, and able to be done with readily available equipment.

6 Likes

That appears to be a common thing around the word at the moment: people not going to hospitals in an emergency because they’re scared they might get infected.

Lives are lost that could have been saved.

3 Likes

Thanks for linking this. Very interesting, and only goes to show how little we know about our own bodies.

1 Like

As the list of symptoms and debilitating side effects of this disease continues to grow

Get your sleep… really…

This has even led to melatonin being considered as an adjuvant (booster, if you will) treatment for COVID-19.

Sleep is the immune system’s time to go into overdrive.

And a beneficial side effect of this is that my kids have been getting lots of sleep. My teenage daughter has been… easier… to deal with. :thinking:

4 Likes

Particularly since it’s starting to look like fever is not necessarily a good indicator.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.