Even mild coronavirus cases can lead to brain damage, say doctors

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/07/08/even-mild-coronavirus-cases-ca.html

5 Likes

This terrifies me.

27 Likes

(Kanye claims he had COVID-19 earlier this year.)

15 Likes

Let’s just be clear that anything that prevents adequate flow of oxygen to your brain has the potential to cause brain damage.

27 Likes

This sample size is so small you can’t even call it a study.

8 Likes

“Doctors need to be aware of possible neurological effects, as early diagnosis can improve patient outcomes.”

This is a questionable statement, as there is no known treatment for ADEM. Dexamethasone or other modulators of inflammation might help, but it is a poor outcome situation. Again, 8 month old disease, “long term” is a misnomer in any cases, but this is really worrisome.

30 Likes

So what’s coming really is a zombie apocalypse!

8 Likes

This is exactly why I switched over to anaerobic metabolism. It’s also why I have this dry cleaning bag over my head …,

18 Likes

Brain damage symptom checks out

21 Likes

people with mild cases of COVID-19

43 hospitalized patients

Those sound like two very different groups.

14 Likes

Can someone go knock on @futnuh’s door, please?

13 Likes

Well, some of us are living in a state of terror, apparently.

9 Likes

What a comforting thing to read a day after testing positive for antibodies.

24 Likes

What doesn’t kill you makes you dumber?

6 Likes

My sympathies, that does sound vexsome at best.

c8e1d31bccc9f7980e60701563b96d911b64e114

20 Likes

There seems to be some other mechanism at play as well as just oxygen deprivation. We had a family chat with my little sister who is an ICU nurse dealing with Covid patients and the thing she pointed out as the symptom that’s has been freaking her out is how long it takes people to recover from sedation coming off ventilation. Even compared to other people with assorted long term vent needs, people are having unusual reactions.

Not when compared to the possible range of outcomes. Mild in this case means no pneumonia, ARDS or ICU needs. Just needing cannula oxygen for a few nights is a very mild outcome compared to a month on an ICU ventilator.

23 Likes

I would argue, based on how many people refuse to wear mask because “freedom” or “owning the libs” and don’t want anyone else wearing them (thanks @mr_raccoonfor pointing that out), that the zombie apocalypse is already here.

They just aren’t the zombies we were expecting.

20 Likes

The future of humanity.

5 Likes

clearly this means the solution is to force reopen all the schools and universities in the USA in the middle of a pandemic that causes lifelong complications and suffering for millions

I mean only a psychopath would do that so I am sure plenty will jump under the bus for him to make it happen…

we’re not making it to election day

16 Likes

His mental health is being mocked enough.
He has the power and wealth to decide whether or not he should take his medication, just like Keith Richards can coast along on medical grade heroine.
I’m starting to suspect Kanye is being used to affect people’s perception of successful African Americans.