Covid puts U.S. penny back on death row

Sacagawea begs to differ.

0010666_united-states-of-america-2003-sacagawea-dollar-coin-in-proof_340

17 Likes

I love these because people DON’T pick up paper money on the ground anymore. I’m fine with being fooled most of the time in order to find a buck every now and then. I found a $10 in 1992, and a few years later - a $20. It’s even better than finding money in the dryer, or in a pair of pants you haven’t worn in awhile.

9 Likes

This has to be one of my favorite US coins. A close second is the JFK $0.50 piece.

Honorable mention goes out to the different quarters for each state and territory, as well as the National State Parks. I got my kiddos one of these, and it’s so much fun trying to find them all. We’re still missing Guam, Idaho, and American Samoa.

https://www.amazon.com/State-Quarter-Collection-Book-Folder/dp/B0064ADWIM/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=EXQETTI2L9HO&dchild=1&keywords=state+quarter+collection+map&qid=1594733337&sprefix=state+q%2Caps%2C146&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExWVBXRlNKTjVDQVYzJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTE1OTU4MzRSMVBTUEdQQ0tSRiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjcyNTg5MkQ0RE01SFdEQzM5UCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

7 Likes

I guess yer king has been debasin’ yer coinage, then, eh?

That’s not even an honest copper, is it? Just base-metal zinc tarted up to look like copper.

Virtually worthless, indeed.

And yet it’s ‘relatively expensive’ to make?

Whoo, good thing it’s not made of anything actually valuable, then – like, say, silver, or gold, or even common copper.

Those would be waaaaaay too expensive to ever make coins out of, amirite?

7 Likes

Easy: copy what happens on the other side of the pond.

6 Likes

I did find this:

Kept it for the novelty value.

5 Likes

That is seriously uncool dude. Witchcraft and Paganism is a fine group of religions, every bit as valid as any other religion, and with an older tradition of practice than most. It has been persecuted and the Christian church has been trying to eliminate it along with other religions for centuries, and yet it has found a way to preserve.

Please don’t befoul it any more by comparing it to the utter stupidity that the imbeciles in government are promoting.

2 Likes

I’m no economist and don’t have any love for pennies, but I always thought it was funny that the solution to “pennies aren’t worth enough to bother with” was not “let’s look at inflation and why goods are increasingly expensive”, but “I know, let’s get rid of the penny!”

And on European smugness, it’s damn nice that tax is included in the price, rather than tacked on afterwards, since it leads to a lot more even amounts and way fewer pennies/tiny coins given as change (I’d say basically only when buying things by weight)

9 Likes

The penny just doesn’t make cents.

…Thank you and goodnight!

16 Likes

It hasn’t meant what it was for many years. People use the evolved meaning, i.e., First World vs. Third World, developed vs. developing, rather than adhering to the original political theory meaning.

First World are NATO countries, Second World are the Warsaw Pact Countries, and Third World are the unaligned or neutral countries.

5 Likes

That’s called FREEDUM! You’ll be sorry when all your coins have listening devices developed by George Soros.

12 Likes

So even though Ireland is technically a Third World country, nobody who still uses the term Third World would ever refer to them as such. Third World refers to countries with a surplus of melanin, regardless of their economic development. So whenever I read stuff like:

I immediately translate it to:

“The US is no better than a pack of wild n****rs!”

5 Likes

Of course you’re right. CLARIFICATION: I meant it hasn’t meant what it used to mean after it meant what it was supposed to mean. But now it barely means what it was supposed to mean,either.

2 Likes

29 Likes

Exactly. It originally was a Cold War term and then people began using it interchangeably with developed, developing and underdeveloped. And just like irregardless*, we’ve adopted newer meanings by it’s usage.

*my father’s pet peeve :wink:

9 Likes

Vaguely related, but here in the UK generally the only reason we still have coinage for lower than 5-10p is the shops that insist on pricing things at £x.99 or £x.95 prices instead of just £x

I’ve been told by many people that the reason for this is that say £5.99 is seen as cheaper than £6. but every person i’ve ever spoken to admits they mentally round up prices to the nearest pound automatically, making the whole process completely pointless and just flooding everyone with mainly useless coinage…

7 Likes

My son had one of those the other day! I think he said it’s from an anime or game?

1 Like

It’s practice currency used in Chinese banks, so Chinese tellers can become familiar with how US notes are supposed to look.

3 Likes

Aha. He got it from a kid in class (back when that existed), so it doesn’t surprise me the info was inaccurate.

2 Likes

Illinois is also a major lobbyist against killing the cent, being the Land of Lincoln.
The Sacajawea dollars, along with every version previously, have not taken off because they didn’t kill the dollar bill. I would be willing to wager (see what I did there) most of the Sacajawea coins just circulate from one slot machine to another – although Vegas has mostly switched to electronic voucher-based betting.

4 Likes