Create and print your own perfectly-gridded paper

Can it be printed on blueprint sheets? If not, I’m sticking with my Megamat.

1 Like

Edited to include image.

Lasers sometimes have issues rendering fine smooth midtone lines because of the dithering used to get “gray” from black toner. Inkjets do better at color mixing to get smoother grays. If I just went full black the lines would be higher quality… but that’s not really what I want out of graph paper.

I’m not really that hard up for the paper, though. I do sometimes make my own notebooks for fun, but usually it’s not a problem to pick up some graph paper. The only benefit is the hex and isometric, which I have a hard time finding.

2 Likes

Yeah that’s what i was thinking of for getting it printed. All in all its a fairly minor hurdle, might be as easy as asking someone else to print them for you if necessary. I know i wouldn’t be jazzed at printing at a Kinko’s or whatever, unless i needed huge sums of custom printed paper. Which i don’t.

1 Like

Ah yes, that makes sense. I hadn’t considered that a laser printer would have to use dithering to get gray. Am I right in thinking a color laser printer would do a better job?

what is with these adobe products?

Just use Adobe Illustrator!
Now import into Photoshop!

53 dollars a month is still 599 dollars a year.

and you still don’t get to keep the software.

1 Like

I haven’t tried it, but I think it depends on how much you paid for it. Otherwise, it’s still using dithering to get the greys from black and maybe yellow.

Fate as in Stay/Night? Dibs on Shirou!

(Pedantry ahead! I hope I’m not tiresome but who could blame you for not reading this?)

I think laser printers and inkjets both use halftones to produce colors beyond the basic ink/toner colors. But even inexpensive inkjets, designed with photo printing in mind, are often capable of ultra-fine halftoning beyond what you’d get with an ordinary laser printer.

I’ve got a cheapo laser printer that produces results like yours. My printer claims a 1200 dpi high-quality capability, but that setting seems to make the dots denser, not smaller.

3 Likes

Alternatively a low-fi solution is to make/order a big stamp block with a desired pattern and use it on paper as needed. Might be possible to 3D print or laser cut something.

1 Like

cute, but I’ll stick with my old PostScript that puts coordinate labels on my hex paper. mkhexgrid has even more elaborate options for labeling, but it’s a command-line app.

1 Like

adobe is a rip-off

I love their tools, features, and am very comfortable using their various suites but its 100% a ripoff what they charge. I’d rather buy a license from a competitor at a fraction of the price, though currently i’m using GIMP which is free. I don’t love it but it does most of what i need it to do

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.