Hexagonal grid notebooks

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/28/asfwfawfawfawf.html

5 Likes

I also want to know what Rob’s asking about. Additionally if anyone knows of where to get graph/quadrille paper with the same attribute (not ridiculously thin), do please share. Sadly Mead (which is actually a brand of ACCO Brands Corporation) which makes spiral bound, 3 hold punched, graph / quadrille paper notebooks under the “5 star” product name, changed their paper in the last couple years from normal thickness to stupidly thin, and they moved the 3 hold punches closer to the edge.

So if anyone has any lead on graph paper that is heavier than 15 bond, do share.

I contacted Pacon asking if they had a product list this but they never replied.

2 Likes

As a plus, the notebook comes included with the formula for graphene on every page.

11 Likes

Honey bees must love this stuff.

13 Likes

There are a few niche consumers among the honey bee crowds:

9 Likes

That’s not a grid of hexagons, it’s a grid of cubes!

Perfect for playing pen & paper Q*Bert.

14 Likes

If I understand the conversion rate correctly, this book’s hex printed pages are on 162gsm paper (that’s 60lbs/ream in Imperial units).

3 Likes

Would rolling your own be an option?

Print out 100ish sheets on the paper that you want, and then take it to a place that does quicky binding. Commercial places like Staples probably, Universities, or on the fly at workplace if they bind a lot of reports.

5 Likes

This one has reviews that state the paper is thick enough that colors don’t bleed through.

“Pages are thick so colors don’t bleed.”
and
"I use MUJI pens and MILDLINER highlighters. The paper does pretty well of not letting the mediums bleed through. "

5 Likes

I would expect that, a happy mutant of such long standing as Rob, would have his own letter press set up for just this sort of project.

7 Likes

“This role playing notebook is nothing but hexes!”

13 Likes

It’s not loose leaf, but for great quad-ruled notebooks, I can’t recommend this Blueline Business notebook enough:

I go through about one a year at work, and have another one that I use for most of my other projects. I’m mostly a pencil persyn, but this will hold hi-lighter and most rollerball and gel inks with no bleed through. It also has sticker tabs for making sections, and as a lefty I appreciate it’s perfect binding instead of a wire spiral.

5 Likes

I would have thought an isometric grid pad for markers would be easier to find.

2 Likes

You think this is hard, try to find some disposable surgical masks right now!

5 Likes

My ASME chapter in college sold 1" thick, hole punched, tablets of the stuff in a vending machine in the Mechanical Engineering building. Used it for homework; now I just keep a few sheets to photocopy at work. Unlimited supply…

1 Like

5 Likes

Print some a some yourself at your local printshop! b/w on cardstock is pretty cheap. Printing inkjet on watercolor paper, less so. Here’s a grid generator.

https://incompetech.com/graphpaper/hexagonal/

7 Likes

This notebook is also specifically made for RPGs and has a combination of ruled, quad and hex pages for all gaming needs :slight_smile:
https://www.amazon.es/LIBRO-ROL-CUADRICULADO-HEXAGONAL-PERSONAJES/dp/1696066271/ref=sr_1_13?__mk_es_ES=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&keywords=cuaderno+hexagonal&qid=1580227033&s=books&sr=1-13

5 Likes

When doing an item for a client, I had to make this isometric grid page print ready. I know I saved a PDF of it somewhere. I think its on my passport drive at home. If someone wants a copy, PM me.

3 Likes

FWIW I found that you can buy A5 paper and print that in most printers, so you’re not even stuck with A4 (or “letter”?).

And there’s the ATOMA punch and binding system, which makes it pretty simple and fast to create your own notebooks, calendars etc. You can even remove and add single pages. It’s not for everyone, but I know some heavy users.

2 Likes