Creditors of dead cryptocurrency exec want to exhume his body

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/17/creditors-of-dead-cryptocurren.html

4 Likes

Note: if you intend to fake your own death make sure your family members have the stand-in body cremated.

21 Likes

Cryptocurrency has some limitations, apparently.

15 Likes

Remember to cremate the substitute corpse - but have one molar removed and planted in the coffin with your DNA in it.

22 Likes

Which is why its always good to have an unsuspecting twin or clone handy

13 Likes

Is that a service you provide? Asking for a friend…

11 Likes

Had some success. Most notably when we cloned Margot Robbie for the film Ready or Not

See also Jesse Eisenberg/Michael Cera

4 Likes

I assume that’s a sequel to

6 Likes

What I don’t understand is if this guy faked his death, then how does he plan to convert those cryptocoins into goods and services? The blockchain is public, so he can’t move them out of the supposedly “lost” accounts without a public ledger, and as soon as the coins move the game is up. Sure he can try to run them through a tumbler to launder the coins, but that’s far from perfect and he’s going to slip up at some point.

6 Likes

Can’t he just buy condos from Trump like all the other thieves? :wink:

4 Likes

Obligatory Oglaf. https://www.oglaf.com/synod/

13 Likes

I had a coworker and former business partner who went heavily into Bitcoin (and Ethereum) before it all exploded. He made a gigantic windfall (he had thousands of Bitcoins), and discovered hitherto unknown capacity for smug dismissal of the notion of taxation, government in general and conspiracy theories of many flavours.

Around the time Quadriga fell apart he stopped talking about Bitcoin and cryptocurrency altogether, quite quiet. Note also he is still working at the same job.

10 Likes

well he could sit on it for a while , then start moving it all into smaller multiple wallets, to try and stay ahead of the whole blockchain analysis thing from there if he’s ahead of it he could move it onto an exchange or better yet a Dex (Decentralized Exchange ) and make a trade for monero or grin or pirate coin or another anonymous crypto currency then move it off exchange before anyone is the wiser ,maybe change it over one more place for good measure then maybe put it back into btc and then sell it anonymously on local bitcoins , but I’m sure there are a few different variations as to how to skin that cat.

2 Likes

Money is about options.

since it’s an exhange, no one knows what address the crypto was stored in.

2 Likes

Wait!.. We can clone Margot Robbie?

Um… Asking for a friend. Yeah… that’s the ticket!

3 Likes

If he is sipping piscines somewhere tropical, with a quarter billion in assets, seems like it worked perfectly for him.

3 Likes

Has anyone checked under the laptop for a post it note with his password written on it? If not, I volunteer for the job.

2 Likes

there is no knowledge of the public adress/addresses? can you link to any anything confirming this?
Update : already found something confirming no knowledge of the public address in this article …wow thats incredible I wonder how many other exchanges have such a lack of oversite.

Literal cryptocurrency.

3 Likes