"Crying Indian" anti-pollution ad to be retired for good

It seems to be a common thread, that some of these people are sincerely trying to help a cause.

8 Likes

Yeah, exactly… all they end up doing is undermining whatever good scholarship they’ve put into the world…

9 Likes

… for the first generation to own cars, it was like there were no rules—like the way smokers throw cigarette butts on the ground, but for everything

7 Likes

Most f#cked up of all: the output of plastic packaging is STILL INCREASING.

2 Likes

I’m not excusing the problematic side this PSA, but it was VERY effective when it was first shown. The amount of litter and trash on U.S. streets and highways back them was horrendous and this PSA created and awareness that was instrumental in turning that around. Oh, and enforcing $100 fines for littering also helped. Over the last few years, I’ve notice that littering has increased, particularly from young kids in cities. I frequently see them just toss stuff aside, even when there are trash cans very close by. Very depressing.

So…places look prettier now?

The problem isn’t some untidy looking “littered” places, it’s too much non-biodegradable waste.

As @politeruin noted above, all this ad helped do was shift “the blame from mass producers of plastic waste on to individuals.”

5 Likes

Yep. What’s needed is greater regulation of corporations on what they produce and how they produce it.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.