Crypto.com fighting to get $10.5M mistaken refund back

While in theory I agree with you, I find that my ability to give a rat’s ass about the fate of Crypto.com to be completely lacking. Still, I think I personally can administer an appropriate level of admonition towards Thevamangoari: Shame, shame, on you, Thevamangoari Manivel. Whew, there. I hope that wasn’t too rough on her and it’s my sincere hope that she’s learned her lesson and will never do such a thing again.

8 Likes

I don’t know what the argument is, but you win.

If nothing else, she shuffled that money around, so they couldn’t get it back, like a champ. Buying property and then giving it to her sister, who lives in another country? That’s some A+ work.

I dunno how much they paid Damon, but they should view the money lost here the same way - promotional money well spent. Hey, now they have proof that with crypto, you can turn $100 into millions!

5 Likes

In his defense, given the way they throw money around, Matt might have been paid ten billion for that ad. Kind of hard to turn down.

All investment involves risk. Previous performance does not ensure future gains. Talk about your meme stonks.

1 Like

Funny…when this kind of thing happens to a corporation the legal system in the US says the money belongs to the corporation, but when it happens to a (non-paper-based) person it is almost always a crime to keep it.

Kinda like how refusing to pay rent or whatever other contract violating is “good business” for a corporation but a moral hazard when applied to humans

5 Likes

All good points- live by the sword, die by the sword. That said, this lady did steal 10m dollars and she knows it. It’s wrong regardless of the monster she stole it from. Even if one doesn’t think it’s wrong, taking it is a bad idea because you know that’s gonna catch up with you legally.

3 Likes

I don’t know the laws in Austrailia and if they are different than here with regards to receiving stolen property, but if they’re the same as they are here, she didn’t only steal… she then implicated and imperiled her sister by giving her a house with the funds of her theft. So not only did she steal money that wasn’t hers, her sister could potentially be found guilty too.

2 Likes

Yah, her aggressive moves to hide and move the money also remove any plausible ignorance or sympathy in court. It’s obvious she knows she wasn’t supposed to get it and she tried to stash it. She’s gonna lose and when this kind of money is on the table, people don’t give up coming for it.

I think it would have been smarter to, if not give it back, sit on it untouched until the inevitable court proceedings play out. Maybe they’ll settle for half or something. As it is now, she may be in a position to have to pay back money she has spent, or spend the next ten years in and out of court over it, whittling it away to the lawyers.

3 Likes

No, but there does come a point where someone who can see past the gambling will realize it precludes them.

4 Likes

The words “investment”, “speculation” and “gambling” exist to distinguish between approaches to trying to realise gains on capital. Cryptocurrencies are highly risky speculation (in a currently unregulated market) at best.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.