Cryptocurrency (and related fuckery)

There is probably a better thread for this, so if anyone can think of where it should go, please link to it…

White House Bowling GIF by US National Archives

6 Likes

How about setting up a cryptocurrency thread, there is a lot to say about this.

4 Likes

Done!

6 Likes

“Milton Friedman and other monetarist economists were delighted”

I feel an ineffable dread when I hear that Milton Friedman is delighted by anything.

17 Likes

Me Too Samesies GIF

9 Likes

Thanks & happy cake day!

3 Likes

Thanks @FGD135 for the suggestion and @ficuswhisperer for the follow through!

3 Likes

[…]
According to a recent report by Trend Micro’s cybersecurity team, there are now scores of fake crypto mining and wallet apps on the Google Play Store duping users into paying for fake services like cloud mining and storage.
[…]

4 Likes
1 Like
7 Likes

That lede is a perfect corollary to Betterige, isn’t it? :grin:

3 Likes
4 Likes

Thief milks CREAM Finance for $18m+ in cryptocurrency after spotting security bug

CREAM Finance, a decentralized loan platform, lost at least $18m in cryptocurrency on Monday to an unidentified thief.

The biz’s name stands for Crypto Rules Everything Around Me, which evidently overstates the lending operation’s control over its funds.

“CREAM v1 market on Ethereum has suffered an exploit, resulting in a loss of 418,311,571 in AMP and 1,308.09 in ETH, by way of reentrancy on the Amp token contract,” the company said via Twitter, adding that it had blocked the exploit by pausing supply and borrow contracts for the AMP token.

[…]

4 Likes

Dfinity’s clown-based collectibles are seemingly inspired by musical duo Insane Clown Posse and the early NFT project, CryptoPunks.

2 Likes

Is putting my signature on your nft a new work of art?

To address @Mindysan33 's original post: I’d say that Larry Elliot in the Guardian is half right. Nixon is to blame, but it was the “War on Drugs” that got us here, not the collapse of Bretton Woods or leaving the Gold Standard.

A Guardian article on Marbella, Dubai, and drug smuggling in Europe illustrates another key use for crypto. Bruce Schneier discusses the various ins and outs of Bitcoin, Ransomware and the “DeFi” industry and how DeFi serves to launder money now that block-chain transactions can be linked to end users.

3 Likes

Crypto-coin startup said its bot could generate huge profits from your Bitcoin. It was a scam, says SEC

Cryptocurrency startup BitConnect and two men have been sued by America’s financial watchdog, which claims the now-defunct biz swindled investors out of billions by lying to them about an automated trading bot that could reap huge profits.

[…]

5 Likes

I can make your Bitcoin clean and remove the curse that’s on it.

7 Likes

Magic blanket!

4 Likes