Cryptocurrency (and related fuckery)

Magic Beenz!

1 Like

That too, but I was referencing Jim Bakker and his money-making magic blankets.

1 Like
1 Like

After an hour, I had to flee the last blockchain and crypto event I attended. It reminded me too much of the objectionable religious dogma, cloaked in low-boil evangelism, that I was raised around. While the M.S. Satoshi was never going to become as lethal as Jonestown, or as weird as Oneida, or as earnestly quirky as Christchurch, I think there is an element of religious fervour here that begs comparison.

7 Likes

Libertarian Utopia is an oxymoron.

8 Likes

“Utopia” was coined by Thomas More from the Greek, meaning “nowhere”…

:grin: … so (at the risk of being annoyingly pedantic, and I’ve been called a “risk taker”) I beg to disagree …

6 Likes
3 Likes

Are you seriously trying to suggest that the word utopia has not changed one iota since More coined it? Or that is how people who are trying to set up these “libertarian utopias” are deploying it?

Words change, my dude… for example…

5 Likes

Just agreeing by disagreeing… and secretly coveting the Pedant’s Pendant award elite badge of honour… :slightly_smiling_face:

… and I don’t dress that well, at least not of late, since COVID… :grin:

1 Like

It’s not an award. It’s a badge of honor that you can wear for life, like a VIP member’s card or elite status with an airline.

1 Like

which critics warned may fuel money laundering

I have to wonder if regulatory reticence stems from this in Canada as well. Money laundering appears to be fuelling a good part of the rise in house prices. A drop in house prices would cause a revolt among the voting classes here… :thinking: (I use the term with a smattering of /s)

So yes, from a strictly “law and order” perspective it’s something that the El Salvadoran government may wish to look into. From a “money flooding into the economy” standpoint, it may be a short-term win.

2 Likes

Being Contrary

5 Likes

Well, that escalated quickly.

5 Likes

I could have seen that coming through the completely black lenses of a pair of peril-sensitive sunglasses.

6 Likes

@Jesse13927 @GoatCheezInfrno Old news, but… any dark market or “dark pool” makes for manipulation on some scale. Eutopian dreams can’t overcome the truth the crypto market has some real structural problems, starting with what generates the demand in the first place.

1 Like
1 Like
2 Likes

Sounds like he’s just disrupting the established market. Where’s the problem?

2 Likes

County doesn’t dig underground miner.

4 Likes