Cryptocurrency (and related fuckery)

5 Likes

Well, if you are going to buy something whose value could disappear at any moment, I suppose it makes sense to use a currency that’s the same.

5 Likes

Wayback Machine

6 Likes
8 Likes

The US Department of Justice has revealed it seized $3.36bn (£2.9bn) of Bitcoin last year which was stolen from an infamous darknet website.

The stash of 50,676 Bitcoin was found hidden on various devices in a hacker’s home in an underfloor safe and inside a popcorn tin.

James Zhong has pleaded guilty to hacking the funds in 2012 from the illegal Silk Road marketplace.

US authorities say the seizure is the second largest in history.

The police raid at Mr Zhong’s Georgia home was carried out a year ago but only revealed now.

7 Likes

I wonder how he was planning to launder $3 billion

5 Likes

Dogecoin?
Buying Teslas?
Something, something DarkNet?

4 Likes

Spills out a popcorn tin filled with carefully cut out ones and zeroes

8 Likes

OK, so I guess they have some physical wallets that presumably contain some bitcoin? Isn’t there supposed to be some, like, passcodes to prevent a third party from actually accessing them?

I feel like Bitcoin has somehow managed to combine all the liabilities of digital and physical objects with basically none of the affordances. It’s impressive, really.

7 Likes

Lemonade stand. It’s the best in the county!

5 Likes

Yes, he had the passcodes on devices which were in the popcorn tin.

The stash of 50,676 Bitcoin was found hidden on various devices

5 Likes

That’s like the crypto equivalent of putting your password on a sticky note on the underside of your keyboard.

5 Likes

Real criminal masterminds hide it under their mattress!

6 Likes

tv land yes GIF by YoungerTV

4 Likes

But according to The New York Times, the project has so far only sold four of the 10,000 NFTs it created — a roughly $11,000 return on a $10 million stunt. On top of that, the controversial promotion tactic may have broken Mexican law.

Mexico’s National Institute of Fine Arts and Literature considers Kahlo’s work national monuments, and destroying them is a crime. In September, the institute announced it was investigating whether Mobarak’s drawing was an original Kahlo piece. It’s unclear if authorities have shared their findings on the authenticity of the piece.

6 Likes

Bluechecks, lots and lots of bluechecks.

And on the gripping flip, adding strange crypto bro stuff to Twitter would probably be the final nail.

7 Likes

he should get together with the folks who glue their bodies to art.

2 Likes

Glad to hear that that 30-year-old crypto “billionaire” is getting wiped out. Nobody should be allowed to ever amass that kind of personal wealth unless maybe they cured all cancers and singlehandedly solved climate change.

3 Likes

Point of order: SBF never actually did amass that kind of personal wealth, as far as I’ve been able to tell. He was a “billionaire” in exactly the same sense as someone in the 90s with too many beanie babies might have been a “billionaire”.

(Except, at least the beanie baby person owned some actual beanie babies after all was said and done.)

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s the reason I used the scare quotes when I used that word.

5 Likes