Cultural appropriation: okay if done by another oppressed minority?

There are whites with very wavy, coarse red hair that could be successfully dreadlocked. Bumped into a lovely French gal on a flight; she had such hair and kept it pulled back and tightly braided. Another example: Michael Hedges (extraordinary guitarist, now deceased)

4 Likes

Fascinating how for some people it’s always about “the men” even when the specific example given was about women. In fact the biggest borrower of world culture in my field, theater, is a woman: Julie Taymor. She used design, mask and puppetry techniques from around the world in Lion King.

3 Likes

Reminds me of the accusations of cultural appropriation, viz., the Broadway musical, Hamilton. Yet, a bit of industrious googling reveals a painting of a very young Alexander Hamilton and documents hinting at (possibly) Creole blood contributed from his mother’s side; Alexander grew up on one of the Caribbean islands.

1 Like

I’m not sure how one can make this leap in logic that because someone randomly excludes them from an activity or practice for any reason gives anyone the right to commit acts of physical violence (or violence in general). How is it okay to commit racial violence because someone told you (who’s a minority) that you can’t do a certain thing or wear a certain piece of clothing? You can still do those things just not with them and without the need to lynch them. Seriously, this is why so many reactionaries get laughed at. They’re the kind of person who probably would torch the local ice cream social because it served neopolitan instead of german chocolate.

3 Likes

It isn’t OK. But that won’t stop those who don’t think clearly (or at all), and end up lashing out.

Am I the only one who finds this kind of “one drop” justification racist? I don’t find it reasonable to grant privileges based on it any more than enslaving people based on it. I just read that one of Jefferson’s enslaved daughters was like 1/32nd African.

Holy fucksocks; this isn’t a thread that’s going to turn into a clusterfuck of willful misunderstanding, oh no…

15 Likes

With very few exceptions people really aren’t being prevented from doing the things they love “because cultural appropriation.” Nobody arrested Elvis or Eminem for stealing African-American music. Nobody sued restauranteur Paul Fleming to prevent him from opening an Asian-themed chain called “P.F. Chang’s” or Glen Bell for opening “Taco Bell.” White hippies continue to operate sweat lodges with impunity. Even the Cleveland Indians didn’t face any legal action over their racist logo, the only pressure they faced was from ordinary people saying “that caricature is grossly insensitive and racist.”

11 Likes

The “one drop” concept is sickening… but I only brought up the situation as a case where the people who cried ‘cultural appropriation’ would have had to stare their own concept in the face and rethink their views.

2 Likes

They boasted that they had stolen the recipe (as in were told they would not be given the recipe, and literally skulked around looking in windows) from a place famous for their tortillas in a tourist spot in Mexico, and their tortillas were the competitive advantage they had with their food truck.

It’s pretty easy to dismiss a subject when you change the details to suit your narrative.

EDIT

And before it comes up, we have made it pretty clear that the women who came up with the recipe in Mexico are not free to set up shop in the much richer areas across the border that can charge 10-20x the price.

10 Likes

“When you’re white in this country, you’re taught that everything belongs to you. You think you have a right to everything. … You’re conditioned this way. […] It’s the fact that the laws and the culture tell you this. You have a right to go where you want to go, do what you want to do, be however [you want to be] — and people just havet to accommodate themselves to you.”

~Ta-Nehisi Coates

6 Likes

After I was told that it was racist cultural appropriation for a white family to adopt non-white children I stopped listening.

I’ve got better things to do than try to prevent other people from touching the culture of my ancestors. Y’all wanna be Vikings and Celts, I don’t care if you are Chinese or Amharic, may the works of my dead enrich your lives.

(Pictured: Howard Chu, an excellent performer of traditional Irish music.)

7 Likes

You might find this interesting.

https://www.wnycstudios.org/story/more-perfect-presents-adoptive-couple-v-baby-girl

3 Likes

That clip won’t play for me at work; bummer. Will have to listen once I get home.

I remember having a conversation with my own mom about people raising children from different ethnic backgrounds, prompted by a ‘very special episode’ of Different Strokes, of all things.

As I recall, my mom stated that kids being raised in a healthy loving environment is the most important thing; not matching skin tones.

At the same time, my mom also understood that cultural awareness and representation matter greatly when dealing with anyone who has been historically marginalized and denigrated, and so she went out of her way to make sure us kids had extensive exposure to ‘our roots.’

I’ve never heard anyone seriously claim that adopting children of a different color counts as ‘appropriation’; so not only is that anecdotal, it’s also some bigoted bullshit.

7 Likes

Well, then, won’t someone think of the white women! It is actually a whole different kettle of fish, with white women often appropriating some elements of black women’s culture and then shedding it when it becomes uncomfortable for them.

But again, this is about who has and continues to have power in our society. It’s still predominately white men, and that’s part of the problem that a discussion about cultural appropriate attempts to address.

Do you really think that’s why the alt-right has come out on the street to support trump and his more racist policies? Because someone complained about them being in a blues band? That’s seriously ignoring the real problem here. Don’t forget that it was white men who already appropriated and financially benefited from the popularization of country blues since the 60s anyway… Eric Clapton made millions playing the blues and then spent years spewing some pretty racist garbage, with little to no blowback. He’s still considered a genius bluesman. The white music industry exploited the hell out of the genre for years, while some of these old school bluesmen died in poverty. That’s the problem people have - not that white dudes play the blues, it’s that they primarily benefit from it economically.

12 Likes

Such special little broflakes…

6 Likes

Of course it’s racist. It’s been the primary founding definition of race in American, a definition meant to keep black Americans “in their place.” Of course, it’s not reasonable or correct, but it has had a very real world negative effect on many of our fellow Americans.

10 Likes

Absolutely.

In the Black community, there’s still friction and strife caused by the intra-caste system that was entrenched within American slavery; the House Nïgger vs Field Nïgger fallacy, in which darker skinned slaves were treated even worse than faired skinned ones - leading to feelings of deep-seeded self-hatred and resentment in general, up to this very day.

9 Likes

I can’t play it either; but am also at work. I’ll try it at home.

Without knowing the details of that specific case, but with the understanding that the children of Australian Aborigines, American Indians, and the Cymric Welsh were all historically targeted by English-speaking Europeans*, I think it’s safe to say that cultural imperialism can be one part of adoption done wrong. And anything can be done wrong.

* not meaning to say these are the only peoples involved, just that they are the ones I know about.

1 Like

I’ve never heard it called appropriation, but in that field (my wife is a social worker) it became frowned on to place kids out of “their race”.

Then why is using it to parcel out “minority privileges” OK? I adore Senator Warren, but just the notion that a tiny bit of Native American ancestry might have gained her anything seems problematic.