The House of Dance and Feathers in New Orleans

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/02/the-house-of-dance-and-feathers-in-new-orleans.html

4 Likes

Oh, it’s brilliant. My wife and I visited in 2015, and spent a very happy afternoon chatting with the owner (I guess it must have been Ronald himself.)

Also WELL worth a visit: The Backstreet Cultural Museum in Tremé. We spent hours in there, too.

4 Likes

On Mardi Gras, if you go down to 2nd and Dryades you can see multiple Big Chiefs come by from the back of a crowd. They usually stage at the chief’s house, though, and when they’re just in the neighborhood it’s just the neighbors.

They come out and mask again on Super Sunday (on or near St. Joseph’s day) and then it is easy to get a close look at the suits.

This is a picture my mom took of the tribe based in their neighborhood on a Super Sunday. (it was also spring 2020 at the start of the covid shutdown, which is why the street was empty)

4 Likes

One day, I want to go to NOLA for Mardi Gras. Not a huge fan of the crowds, but I think it’s something that should be on my bucket list.

3 Likes

I guess one could wear stilts, to get out of the crowds, and still blend in.

1 Like

Nah… I’ll just blend in… I’m small enough that I can sneak to the front anyways!

2 Likes

Depending on when/where you go the vibe changes drastically. If you’re in the quarter on the weekend, it’s a huge crowd of drunken tourists. But if go to the Frenchman side it’s younger locals, and further Uptown it’s dominated by families with kids.

Also make sure you’re there on Tuesday itself. Most of the tourists have left and the whole city is happier

2 Likes

Low slung elbows must be good for breaking through the crush. :muscle:

1 Like

Punk Rock Party Hard GIF by MOODMAN

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.